Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Radio Role Parameter in 5500WLC Downlink vs Updownlink

TEvers
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

hopefully someone here can help with this quick question, as I've been googling to no avail. On the Monitor>Access Points>Radios>802.11a/n/ac tab on the WLC GUI there's a parameter for "Radio Role". I have 1 RAP and 19 MAPs currently on the network. The RAP's role is "Downlink" and all of the MAPs roles are "Updownlink" except for the new AIR-CAP1532I-B-K9 AP that I'm trying to subscribe to the network.

I can see the AP and it successfully connects to the WLC with an ethernet connection to the RAP, but when I unplug the RAP ethernet from the switch the AP loses it's connection to the WLC and I think it has something to do with the downlink role. Please see the attached screenshot for reference. Thanks! WLC troubleshooting.png

1 Reply 1

.Jaidev Hattiangadi.
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It could simply mean that the "newly added MAP" isn't joining as a MAP to a parent. It's just reaching the WLC over the wired network like any other AP and not through its backhaul.

Check the AP mode once and ensure it's configured in bridge mode and MAP. 

If you have console access to the AP, you should see it scanning channels to find potential parents (RAPs) through which it can join the WLC.

Cheers!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card