cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1832i and WLC 2504. How to deply remotelty?

Hello. We have WLC 2504 set up at central site.

When we deploy say AP1142, we just set local dhcp option 43 pointing to WLC, and ap registers right out of the box.

But when we bought pack of 1832, we got a real pain in the (*).

This device completely ignores option 43 and boots into some Express mode with local controller and we cant find a way to tell it to use our central WLC. The only way is to use console, involving series of reboots and such.

And when you have no console access, you have to use wireless client device, to do almost same procedure.

Now gues what happens if this device shipped to remote location where there is no engineer on site?

There is no access to local ap shell via telnet/ssh.

Now's the question: what we do wrong? Is there a way to deploy it remotely? Do we have to use some other ordering code, with CAPWAP default?

10 Replies 10

Here is quote from APs datasheet:

Cisco Aironet 1832i Access Point: Indoor environments, with internal antennas

AIR-AP1832I-x-K9: Dual-band, controller-based 802.11a/g/n/ac, Wave 2
 AIR-AP1832I-x-K9C: Dual-band, controller-based 802.11a/g/n/ac, Wave 2, configurable, with default software Mobility Express
 Regulatory domains: (x = regulatory domain)
 For Mobility Express, part number AIR-AP1832I-x-K9C offers default software option Mobility Express

but we order AIR-AP1832I-x-K9, NOT AIR-AP1832I-x-K9C

I'd be having a chat with the retailer. I think they've sent you K9Cs even though you ordered K9s. We've had 1832s and they've just worked normally with the controller out of the box like previous models.

maybe you also need to check the compatibility matrix

1142 series are "older"

Last Cisco Wireless Release Support 8.3.x

the AP1832i may come with a preinstalled image that need newer controler software

(or AP downgrade for the current controller software version)

@pieterh wrote:

maybe you also need to check the compatibility matrix

1142 series are "older"

Last Cisco Wireless Release Support 8.3.x

the AP1832i may come with a preinstalled image that need newer controler software

(or AP downgrade for the current controller software version)

Should be fine.  1832 firmware supports starts with 8.1.122.X.  

Why does it matter? Question was about 1832i. I mentioned 1142 just for example. We have 5 different WLCs with different software versions for different APs.
Our problem is that our bought 1832 doesn't even try to use option 43.

We checked boxes throughly, there is no any indication of K9C on them. Do K9C have this designation printed on the box?

@Utair Corporation wrote:

We checked boxes throughly, there is no any indication of K9C on them. Do K9C have this designation printed on the box?

K9C indicates that the AP is loaded with Mobility Express. 

Without saying much, I'd recommend converting the APs to CAPWAP.

The APs will need to be converted to CAPWAP:  Converting a Mobility Express AP into a CAPWAP AP

That just exactly what we did, but you cannot do that REMOTELY.

returning to the original question:

Now's the question: what we do wrong? Is there a way to deploy it remotely? Do we have to use some other ordering code, with CAPWAP default?

-> configure the AP before shipping to remote site :-) 

then the AP is primed with the controllers IP saves it in nvram and will connect when connected at remote site

when using the reset button pay attention to this:

• To clear the AP internal storage, including all configuration files and the regulatory domain configuration, keep the Reset button pressed for more than 20 seconds, but less than 60 seconds.

The AP status LED changes from Amber to Red, and all the files in the AP storage directory are cleared.

If you keep the Reset button pressed for more than 60 seconds, the Reset button is assumed faulty and no changes are made.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: