cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP2802I-B-K9 WLC Compatibility

Elnook
Level 1
Level 1

I am thinking about adding a WLC to my home learning lab, I have AP2802I-B-K9 I am trying to find out what AP's are compatible with WLC AIR-CT2504-5-K9 as I was thinking about purchasing a used one. Thanks

7 Replies 7

ammahend
VIP
VIP

8.5 is the last supported code, so basically any AP that supports this code will work.

check compatibility matrix here

you may be better off spinning an EVE-NG lab new virtual controller with a new AP, than wasting money on those old APs

-hope this helps-

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Cisco has a really good compadibility matrix for wireless

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html 

Shows what first and last supported code for APs and WLCs

The 2504 has a max code train of 8.5 which is EOL
The 2800 series has support from 8.2.110.0 so if your running the 2504 on 8.5 code it will work

For home lab, I generally like to use virtual controllers as it gives me more flexiability to try different code version

For instance you could build a 9800-CL and connect the 2800 to that, which would allow you to learn on the current code version which has a completely different set of interfaces and commands vs the 2504

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks, what software do I use to setup a virtual controller and is there a free version for learning with?

>....Thanks, what software do I use to setup a virtual controller and is there a free version for learning with?
   - The controller platforms are not designed for that and APs must be licensed , (normally) , however for the
     9800 virtual controller you have https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/9800-cloud/installation/b-c9800-cl-install-guide/b-c9800-cl-install-guide_chapter_01100.html#concept_tm2_44n_jlb

Using the 9800 platform is better for learning as it is 'the path to the future' (smile)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Follow this

you can google for 9800 as well. 

-hope this helps-

Hi Hadyn, 

I like your suggestion, I have built a 9800-CL in EVE-NG and want to connect my physical 2800 AP to it, EVE-NG is in bridged mode in VMWare Workstation and has wireless connection to my home lab, do you know the config to get the 9800-CL in EVE-NG to be able to connect to my home network over wireless? EVE-NG can ping my home network  default gateway but the 9800 cannot. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

RxTx
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You already have 2802 and this AP support Mobility Express which it is a good basic controller compared with 2504.

With 2802 ME or 2504 or vWLC you can use cheap AP 2702/3702 and "newer AP 2802/3802".

If you want for your home lab and your money in this case it is one important factor then remember that "newer AP 2802/3802" require more power and more expensive injector / PoE switch that must support LLDP negotiation so stick with AP 2702/3702 for lab / home user.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card