Views
Helpful
Replies

Apple devices unable to get into the WLAN

pavel.mr4
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone!

I have the next scenario, a 2504 WLC with 1702i AP, deployed on different levels in a building, we have two principal problems here, the roaming and, what I think is most important, Apple devices most of the time are unable to connect to the WLAN, sometimes they connect and sometimes they just don't, and that is so annoying, the encryption is WPA2+AES PSK, the WLC has a LAG with the two ports to the sw core, and is running 7.6.100.0 sw version, they have like 10 SSIDs per AP, they have AP groups, but every AP Group is broadcasting all of the SSIDs. I think I should upgrade the wlc to the 8.x.x.x, any other advice?

Kind Regards!

6 Replies 6

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

That's a lot of SSIDS! See Andrew Von Nagy's article on SSID Overhead:

http://www.revolutionwifi.net/revolutionwifi/p/ssid-overhead-calculator.html

I'm not sure a code upgrade will assist although you could certainly try it. It could be a number of factors such as band available in particular areas and whether the Apple devices are "sticking" to an AP that is further away which they have a tenancy to do.

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Its a 30 floor building, and the wlc shows 399 Rogue AP, with a max RSSI of -79, is there a way to improve or reduce the number of AP Rogues?

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Is it happening with one or many devices ?

give a try :

Reset your Network Settings. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before.

Regards

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

It is happening with the most of the apple devices, we tried that, but after the network reset, devices connect once or twice and then are unable to connect again

Hello,

Since you seem to be able to replicate the issue, I will suggest you to debug a wireless client as the problem is happening so we can see what the problem is use WLC>debug client {mac address}

You will need to run this debug over CLI and make sure all the output is saved. On the debug we can see from the moment an AP gets the association request from the client to the time out or whatever may be happening that is not letting the client connect.

Here you have some info on what to expect from the debug:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1200-series/100260-wlc-debug-client.html

Also, if I were you I would get out of that 7.6.100 software version asap, maybe get 8.0.121.0. That 7.6100 is not as predictable as the latest suggested code which is 8.0.121.0, in fact, you may want to do the upgrade first and then do the debug.

Regards.

Lars Thulin
Level 1
Level 1

Enable "Fast SSID Change" and set "User Idle timeout", and "ARP Timeout" to 30000

Under "Controller -> General"

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card