cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Apple IOS devices not showing name in DHCP

AdamF1
Level 1
Level 1

I just noticed that newer IOS ( not sure what train) is no longer showing the name of the unit in our microsoft DHCP server. I have been scouring the web and can't really find an explanation for this. We using umbrella for DNS and are running 5520's with 8.10.183. I don't think the issue is with the wireless, I'm thinking it lies in the IOS code and what its sharing in the DHCP request. I tested at home on my Eero setup and it displays my "host name" fine for my phone running 16.x.x

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried to validate with private ip address disabled and enabled to see if that makes a difference?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried to validate with private ip address disabled and enabled to see if that makes a difference?

-Scott

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I plan on trying it at work tomorrow however when I’m at home on my eero mesh system I am able to get the host name with it enabled. What you suggested is the only thing I have been able to find thus far. 

Its something to try, because it would be the device that either send the information or not.  Reading some other post in other forums, folks have ran into that with private address enabled, but not when disabled.

-Scott

This resolved the issue.

Thanks again all.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Get packet captures while trying the different settings to see what impact the settings have on the DHCP packets.
Remembering Apple is constantly enhancing user privacy by reducing the amount of information the device shares and can be tracked by.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card