cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

At what point is a wireless controller needed?

retnaosan
Level 1
Level 1

I work for an MSP and also do sales into some enterprise clients, I have a client with 4x 3602 APs and another 17x 3702 APs ready to be installed.

A colleague of his told him he needs a wireless controller now, he wants to know if that is a requirement, or just best practice (his colleague couldn't really elaborate why)

He has 3x 3750X (48port, POE) currently installed.

My current understanding is that he doesn't NEED a wireless controller at this point, but that it would just make managing things a lot easier, is that right or am I off-base here?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@retnaosan wrote:

he wants to know if that is a requirement

Personally, I would go for a WLC even with just five APs. 

Used 2504 are cheap because people are now dumping them for the 9800.  There is really no more reasons to skimp on a WLC.  

When the 2504/5508/WiSM-2 came out, there were people who could not afford themselves to get the WLC.  The APs were all autonomous and roaming between the APs was a hair-pulling exercise. 

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://community.fs.com/blog/wireless-lan-controller-explained.html

I would say if you have more then 5 ap's , yes use a wlc , due to the Transmit Power Control and Dynamic Channel Assignment algorithms which the controller uses to  control access points for optimal coverage.

M,

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card