cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandselect

nikhilcherian
Level 5
Level 5

In one of the cusotmer places, we have implemented Bandselect so that all the clients will be forced for 802.11a. Now my issue is the clients near to AP join in 802.11a and are getting good ceoverage, but those away from AP join 802.11a with less signal. If I disable bandwidth, the cleints away from AP will join 802.11b and  are gettin good signal, Is there any by which I can make the cleints near to AP join 802.11a and those far to AP join 802.11b

Thanks

NikhiL

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can set a RSSI-limit for clients to be forced at the 5GHz band.

At the WLC goto "Wireless" - "Advanced" - "Band Select" and experiment with "Acceptable Client RSSI (dBm)".

I found "-77" to be a good compromise in my environment.

Regards,

chris

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Justin Kurynny
Level 4
Level 4

Nikhil,

I have not tried this in the lab, but a possible solution: Disable low rates for 802.11a (6, 9, 12, 18), make 24 mandatory and the higher rates allowed. This will reduce cell size for 5 Ghz and theoretically clients outside that cell boundary (scan threshold) won't use it and stay on 2.4 Ghz.

Justin

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Justin,

Thanks for the reply

I tried this already, but still no luck, the clients are connecting to the 5GHz, and when i disable band select, they get a better performance

Regards

NikhiL

You can set a RSSI-limit for clients to be forced at the 5GHz band.

At the WLC goto "Wireless" - "Advanced" - "Band Select" and experiment with "Acceptable Client RSSI (dBm)".

I found "-77" to be a good compromise in my environment.

Regards,

chris

Chris,

Great info. It led me to the other configurable parameters and reading the Help on those illuminated the Band Select process quite a bit. I'd just never dug into that one much before.

Thanks!

Justin

Chris,

Many thanks for the reply, this has impoved things a lot

Thanks again

NikhiL

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card