Views
Helpful
Replies

best way to deploy replacement WLC whilst still running existing WLC

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

I am replacing my 4404 WLC with the new 5508 series controller, we have 60 access ponts connected to the 4404. I want to install the new controller in pararell to the old one then migrate each access point to the new one step by step.

What is the best way of doing this, should I first configure my new controller, same SSID,s , vlans, but different interface addresses on the controller of course, then when im ready to migrate, change the DNS name capwap-controller@xxx.com on my DNS server to point to the new controller then reboot each AP, should it then rejoin the new controller?

any help would be much appreciated

cheers

Carl

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 5508 does not require an AP manager so you only need one IP address for your management IP address.

Copy the entire configuration of the 4400.  Do not connect the 5508 to the network just yet.  Make sure you configure the Service Port (out of band management) of the 5508.  Next copy the 4400 configuration into the 5508 via the service port.  Change the IP address of the 5508 (which has the management IP address of the 4400).

Once the IP address of the 5508 is different, connect to the network.  MOVE ALL your WAPs from the 4400 to the new 5508.

Then you can change the DNS value and replace the details of the 4400 with the 5508.

hi

thanks for that

when yiou say "MOVE ALL your WAPs from the 4400 to the new 5508." how do I do this ? as when the AP reboots it will connect to the old controller still as it uses the dns name, how would you do this ?

Also how do I configure the service port from initial startup, and then copy the file?

cheers

Carl

when yiou say "MOVE ALL your WAPs from the 4400 to the new 5508."

Each of the AP has a "high availability" tab.  This is where you can assign your Primary/Secondary/Tertiary WLC controller.

Changing the Primary WLC IP address and hostname to the 5508 details will move the WAPS.

I'm currently at home so I can't verify but there's a GLOBAL version of this so you need to enter the details once and the ALL the WAPs will go to the WLC specified (as long as the details in the HA is empty).

Wireless > Access Points > Global Configurations > High Availability

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

when you get the second WLC online, you'll want to configure them to be in the same mobility group. APs can be moved from one mobility member to another by changing the primary WLC name, and IP, and enable AP fallback.

If you want redundancy you should then be good. If you are replacing, then once youve tested you can decommission the old WLC.

HTH,

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

One thing that you also need to consider is the outage timeframe you have for the migration.

If you have an hour window, you can swap out the controllers easily within this time. the 5508 is capable of upgrading up to 100 AP's at a time.

If you dont have an outage window, then follow Steve's suggestions in using a mobility group. There is a small outage per AP when they fail over between WLC's but this should be manageable in a production environment with some careful planning.

Following this method you will then need to adjust any Option 43 configuration you have in DHCP and also modify the DNS entry for CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER and add CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER to resolve to the Management address of the 5508

HTH

Darren

Hi Guys

So how do I copy the config from from old WLC to the new one and then change the management address ?

Also how do I put the IP addresses on the new WLC when in cli mode ?

cheers

Carl

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You perform a backup of the existing controller and then you can open that file up in a text editor and change the ip address and hostnames.

config interface address management ip-addr ip-netmask gateway

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card