Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Blocking wireless network outside signals with WIPS

Hi Team

I need blocking the signals outside with WIPS on Network COntrol System, but i do not do

Regards.

12 Replies 12

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't block RF unless you buy materials that are meant to block RF.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Francisco

Your question is asked often. If you are trying to block signals coming from inside your building you will have challenges.

Unless you shield the building and or windows wireless will leak into your building.

If you have a rogue on your network you can do rogue containment. There are legal ramifications if you contain wireless aps that aren't on your network.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi

I need blockling for security of the building the outside wireless network signals, for example a SSID,

My company has a MSE(MObility Service Engine) wIPS but I do not configure.

Regards

There is no equipment that will prevent your signal from going outside. This is how wifi works. You can always lower the power or even place AP's closer to the inside of your building but you have to also consider the signal your users will get at the edge of your building.

-Scott

Hi

well, with wIPS Can I do blocking this signals, no my SSID, the others SSIDs???

Or with MSE blocking this signals??

Nope

-Scott

Tell your manager you need to build a RF faraday cage around your building ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can look at RF Blocking material like this, but if your in a multi tenant building, you will have bleed between floors.

http://www.slt.co/products/RFShieldingWindowFilm/

-Scott

hI

Well

wIPS and MSE only alert a monitor person for do action for prevent for attack, only???

Can I do configure something alternative for resolve this problem??

My devices are: WLC, MSE, wIPS, NCS

Regards,

You can't stop RF signal from going outside. There is no equipment that will do that.

-Scott

Hi

And prevent attack?

Regards

If you want to stop wireless signals from going outside the four walls, you need to wrap your structure with a Faraday mesh.  It's very, very expensive.

Otherwise, you may need to consider putting wall-mounted single-directional antennas of your four walls.  This'll help but it won't eliminate some signals leaking out. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card