cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bonjour Accross VLANs

procopius1980
Level 1
Level 1

I want to get Bonjour to multicast across VLANs in my environment (K-12 Education).  Here is a map that shows the relevant portions of my network.

AirServer-Multicast_2.jpg

I have three sites that each have their own routing domain.  Each site has its own characteristics.

Primary Campus - A mixture of 1121A-G and 1142A-N access points all managed by a WLC-4404 running 7.0.116.0 code.  The 4404 is located within the routing domain.

Branch A - Consists of only 3602is that are managed by a 5760 that is located back at Primary Campus.

Branch B - Consists of 1121A-Gs that are managed by the WLC-4404 at Primary Campus.

Goal: Enable multicasting so that iPads on VLAN x51 can communicate via Bonjour with desktops on VLAN x10.  We are using AirServer to project the iPads to the desktops.

Thus far, I have succeeded at with multicasting using a 3602i/5760 in which both devices where in the same routing domain.

My Question:  Before I spend hours working on this, I want to know if it is even possible to enable this form of multicasting (called VLAN select) between wireless clients and dekstops that are in a completely different routing domain as the WLC. I know I will need to configure all VLANs for pim sparse-mode and that I must set a RP. 

I appreciate any and all help that this group provides.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Viten Patel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Vlan select maybe a hack but the client announce will not be forwarded upstream to the apple tv. You can use bonjour gateway feature on 7.4 or if the wlc cannot be upgraded than use a ubuntu server.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_tech_note09186a0080bb1d7c.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Viten Patel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Vlan select maybe a hack but the client announce will not be forwarded upstream to the apple tv. You can use bonjour gateway feature on 7.4 or if the wlc cannot be upgraded than use a ubuntu server.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_tech_note09186a0080bb1d7c.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Looks like Ubuntu is going to be my best option right now since (1) my 4404 doesn't support Product Code 7.4 and (2) my 5760 doesn't have Bonjour Gateway just yet.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card