cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BonJour not working WLC5508, I tried other forums instructions

ajc
Level 7
Level 7

Hi All, I have the attached diagram and I followed the instructions from another posts / forum cases and the Apple TV is still not working.

My questions are:

1.-The WLC controller and AP must be in the same subnet?. This is not my case, the AP 3500 is operating in a remote location and I have a centralized WLC 5508.

2.- I already configured the Controller --- > General --- > Broadcast forwarding (enable) + AP Multicast Mode (Multicast / IP: 239.20.226.197).

3.-I already configured the Controller --- > Multicast ---- > Enable Global Multicast Mode (selected) + Enable IGMP Snooping (selected) + Enable MLD Snooping (selected). Please see the attachment.

4.-Do I have to configure something in the Mobility Management --- > Multicast Messaging --- > (Enable Multicast Messaging + Local Group Multicast IP Address) ?????

The  Apple TV Device and Ipad are authenticated in the ISE using certificates with no issues and both got IP's from the DHCP for the WLAN Vlan assigned to the SSID activated (see pictures attached).

thanks in advance for any orientation,

Abraham

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

#When both appletv and ipad on wireless on same ssid and vlan then Multicast to Unicast works perfectly without any wired side configuration. Because the packet never leaves the wlc/hits the wired interface. To conserve RF bandwidth, if you prefer to use Multicast to Multicast for this scenario make sure to have Multicast routing enabled on wired side for all involved vlan interfaces from WLC. With M-U, wireless Multicast source and destination should be on same vlan for bonjour however AP and WLC can be on different vlan. Since the Multicast source and destination of the actual traffic belong to same vlan and it is also encapsulated on unicast capwap it will forward the packet without an issue, basically it dumps the Multicast traffic on same vlan.

#With the above scenario if you prefer to use Multicast to Multicast then keep the WLC Management, AP and Wireless client on WLC's management vlan. this way it doesn't require Multicast routing on wired side. So here, if AP is on different vlan than management then the intermediate wired device need to know how to dump the Multicast packet that is sourced from Management of wlc to AP's Multicast group address that's why we need the Multicast routing for WLC and AP vlan on wired side.

#AP Multicast - Multicast is required When we've wired apple device on same vlan like wireless then need to enable Multicast routing on wired side E2E for all the WLC involved vlan interfaces i.e, wired(wireless) client, AP, WLC management VLAN.

#Difference is, as WLC receives the actual multicast data packet, when using M-U it sends out the actual Multicast data packet encapsulated in unicast capwap to AP's ip (sourced from WLC's management interface ip) and with M-M enabled, it sends the actual Multicast data packet encapsulated in unicast capwap but send to Multicast AP group ip (sourced from Management ip of wlc) that is configured. It is applicable only for Downlink traffic ie., WLC to AP, the uplink is always unicast from wireless client to ap to wlc.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So your using FlexConnect? If so then you will be using unicast and the Apple devices will need to be on the same subnet.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott, thanks for replying.

No, I am not using Flexconnect.

Scott,  Could you take a look on the diagram and additional pictures I attached to this case? thanks

Hi Scott, important to mention that, IPAD and Apple TV device are authenticated based on certificate + ISE, both got an IP from the Wireless VLAN associated to the SSID being propagated. I mean, both devices are getting an IP in the same subnet.

With respect to Flexconnect,

WLAN --- > WLAN SSID (specific) ---- > Advanced ---- > Flex Connect --- > FlexConnect Local Switching (not selected)

WLAN --- > WLAN SSID (specific) ---- > Advanced ---- > Flex Connect --- > FlexConnect Local Auth (not selected)

WLAN --- > WLAN SSID (specific) ---- > Advanced ---- > Flex Connect --- > Learn Client IP Address (not selected)

WLAN --- > WLAN SSID (specific) ---- > Advanced ---- > Flex Connect --- > Vlan based Central Switching (not selected)

WLAN --- > WLAN SSID (specific) ---- > Advanced ---- > Flex Connect --- > Central DHCP Processing (not selected)

WLAN --- > WLAN SSID (specific) ---- > Advanced ---- > Flex Connect --- > Override DNS (not selected)

WLAN --- > WLAN SSID (specific) ---- > Advanced ---- > Flex Connect --- > NAT-PAT (not selected)

Furthermore, we solved the issue with the Apple TV synchronization and time/date by opening the FW ports so the device could connect to time.apple.com

thanks

Abraham

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have multicast enabled on the wired side. Is the Apple TV on the wired or wireless? Currently the wired Apple TVs need to have the iPads on the same subnet.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

I am not clear about why the multicast need to be enabled in the wired part if both devices (IPAD + Apple TV) are connected to the Wireless Network using the SSID activated/configured for the streaming (I do not understand how the wired connection participate in the connection). We followed the instructions in the Cisco Guide for the Apple TV/Bonjour but our scenario is slightly different to the example shown in that document.

What I understand, is that both connections from the Apple Devices go through a CAPWAP Tunnel up to the WLC and get an IP from the DHCP  configured in the interface of the WLC, so both Apple Devices are in the same vlan.

My question is, even though the Apple devices (ipad + apple tv) are on the same Wireless VLAN, should I activate multicast in the LAN SW Ports (trunk) connected to the WLC LAN Ports for both, the management VLAN of the WLC + Wireless VLAN for the Apple devices so the multicast traffic can flow between the Apple Devices?

thanks

Abraham

Hi Scott,

Unicast configuration worked perfectly but not multicast. TAC Engineers involve on this case with no success until now including a person from the routing area. Tomorrow trying with a Senior Wireless Engineer.

One question, on unicast mode (cisco documentation), the WLC just send the multicast packet received from the IPAD device and replies it back to all the AP connected to him (including the AP from which the packet came) so the APPLE TV on the same VLAN like the IPAD received the multicast packet and worked.

How the WLC on Multicast mode knows that both apple devices IPAD + APPLE TV which are connected to the same AP/SSID/VLAN, are related to the same MULTICAST GROUP (ip: 239.x.x.x) configured globally in the WLC so the packet coming from IPAD goes to the WLC and it redirects/replies this packet back to another devices in the same ap/subnet/vlan/ssid. I mean,  IPAD (vlan 3224 - multicast group 239.255.255.20 in theory) ------> WLC -------> APPLE TV (vlan 3224 - multicast group 239.255.255.20 in theory). Multicast is not working and we have tried some differents configurations with the TAC Engineers without success.

thanks

Abraham

#When both appletv and ipad on wireless on same ssid and vlan then Multicast to Unicast works perfectly without any wired side configuration. Because the packet never leaves the wlc/hits the wired interface. To conserve RF bandwidth, if you prefer to use Multicast to Multicast for this scenario make sure to have Multicast routing enabled on wired side for all involved vlan interfaces from WLC. With M-U, wireless Multicast source and destination should be on same vlan for bonjour however AP and WLC can be on different vlan. Since the Multicast source and destination of the actual traffic belong to same vlan and it is also encapsulated on unicast capwap it will forward the packet without an issue, basically it dumps the Multicast traffic on same vlan.

#With the above scenario if you prefer to use Multicast to Multicast then keep the WLC Management, AP and Wireless client on WLC's management vlan. this way it doesn't require Multicast routing on wired side. So here, if AP is on different vlan than management then the intermediate wired device need to know how to dump the Multicast packet that is sourced from Management of wlc to AP's Multicast group address that's why we need the Multicast routing for WLC and AP vlan on wired side.

#AP Multicast - Multicast is required When we've wired apple device on same vlan like wireless then need to enable Multicast routing on wired side E2E for all the WLC involved vlan interfaces i.e, wired(wireless) client, AP, WLC management VLAN.

#Difference is, as WLC receives the actual multicast data packet, when using M-U it sends out the actual Multicast data packet encapsulated in unicast capwap to AP's ip (sourced from WLC's management interface ip) and with M-M enabled, it sends the actual Multicast data packet encapsulated in unicast capwap but send to Multicast AP group ip (sourced from Management ip of wlc) that is configured. It is applicable only for Downlink traffic ie., WLC to AP, the uplink is always unicast from wireless client to ap to wlc.

Shaoqin Li
Level 3
Level 3

1.-The WLC controller and AP must be in the same subnet?. This is not my case, the AP 3500 is operating in a remote location and I have a centralized WLC 5508.
----- no you don't.
2.- I already configured the Controller --- > General --- > Broadcast forwarding (enable) + AP Multicast Mode (Multicast / IP: 239.20.226.197).
3.-I already configured the Controller --- > Multicast ---- > Enable Global Multicast Mode (selected) + Enable IGMP Snooping (selected) + Enable MLD Snooping (selected). Please see the attachment.
------that is not relevent...
4.-Do I have to configure something in the Mobility Management --- > Multicast Messaging --- > (Enable Multicast Messaging + Local Group Multicast IP Address) ?????

which code are you using?
are client and apple tv in same subnets?

i recommend you following document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_tech_note09186a0080bb1d7c.shtml

Hi  Shaogin,

Thanks, we already checked that document which is not clear about the required configuration when you have both users (sender + receiver) connected to the wireless network only.

However, we solved the issue but we still do not know why we had to activate multicast all the way from the DC to the VLAN in the remote branch on which the AP is connected locally. When we activated multicast/unicast mode, the Apple TV worked immediately on the apple devices connected to the same AP/SSID in the remote branch. (diagram attached above).

Importanto to say again that both Apple devices (IPAD + APPLE TV) are connected to the same SSID/vlan/subnet.

In any case, I will check the multicast operation in the Wireless environment in order to understand the correlation between capwap, multicast group and AP for the Apple TV service.

regards

Abraham

Hi Abraham,

As per my understanding this is how it works.

When iPads at your branch want to find your apple TV, it will try to join multicast group 224.0.0.251 (which is the group address used by Bonjour). When this client request come to branch AP that AP management IP should be able to relay this multicast request to WLC & that's why mulicast need to enable across your wired network from Branch to DC.

Here is lastest deployment guide for this service if you are using WLC 7.4

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/bonjour/Bonjour_DG_Guide.pdf

Here is my deployment scenario (AppleTV on wired). For IOS 6.x.x onwards Apple has changed how Bonjour works and you need to add "AirTunes" as a service in mDNS profile in order to those device to detect AppleTV.

http://mrncciew.com/2013/03/27/configuring-mdns-on-wlc-7-4/

HTH

Rasika

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card