cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridge AP Questions

jmhouse96
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently come across some APs in our environment that are setup as a wireless bridge. I have some questions because there are some issues with these devices and the people who set them up in our 3rd party support team are no longer with that company and there is little to no documentation.

Anyways we have 3 devices in a bay that is about 400 feet wide that roll on rails. In the middle of the bay is a single AP with omnidirectinal antennas. These devices can be up to 220 feet from the AP they connect back to and we are having some disconnect issues. Okay to I get this is a long distance for these APs, but if I were to redesign this can I set this up that each of these bridge APs only connect back in a point to point fashion versus point to multipoint? I guess what I am trying to understand is if I were to add 2 more APs in this room can I associate a single bridge mode AP with a single lightweight AP without having an SSID per bridge AP? 

The other part of this scenario is I have 4 rooms setup in this manner so I would like this to be a single SSID if possible or maybe I should not worry about that and allow the bridge APs to roam between the lightweight APs connected back to the infrastructure. Any thoughts on this?

1 Reply 1

pieterh
VIP
VIP

probably there already is a separation between bridge SSID and client SSID.

even better if they work on different bands (2,G4 - 5 G)

if so you could improve communication to the base by using a directional antenna on the radio with the bridge SSID pointing to the base-AP?

(you most likely need the Omni for communication within the bay?)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card