Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800-CL profiles scalability and load balancing

NetOpsBNE
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In this Cisco youtube video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RAXFwVr-9c about site tags, at 1:58 there is a mention of using multiple site tags for load balancing and acceptable resource useage.

Is there an issue with using the same Flex Profile on multiple sites? We will have about 150 sites configured on the controller when we are done.

Thanks,

Peter.

3 Replies 3

pieterh
VIP
VIP

when looking at the same video you must have passed 1:30

there you see flex-profiles assigned to multiple site-tags, it this the information you are looking for?

so yes, flex-profiles are reusable

be aware at 1:12 is mentioned properties specific to PHYSICAL site are part of the flex-profile. So that's the limitation

Hi,

I am aware that flex profiles are reusable. I used the same profile in over 100 sites, so when BG mentioned that there can be resourcing issues, I wanted to know if my configuration is sub-optimal.

I also notice that there is a limit of 100 aps per site. Any idea why this is?

Cheers,

Peter.

It has to do with bandwith and latency requirements from remote-site to central-site

look at the Enterprise Mobility 8.1 Design Guide

Primary Design Requirements

FlexConnect APs are deployed at the Branch site and managed from the Data Center over a WAN link. It is highly recommended that the minimum bandwidth restriction remains 24 kbps per AP with the round trip latency no greater than 300 ms. (see Table 7-3 ).

The maximum transmission unit (MTU) must be at least 500 bytes.

Table 7-3 Bandwidth MinimumsDeployment TypeWAN Bandwidth (Min)WAN RTT Latency (Max)APs per Branch (Max)Clients per Branch (Max)

Data

64 kbps

300 ms

Data

640 kbps

300 ms

Data

1.44 Mbps

1 sec

Data + Voice

128 kbps

100 ms

Data + Voice

1.44 Mbps

100 ms

Data + Flex AVC

75 Kbps

300 ms

The primary design requirements are:

• Branch size that can scale up to 100 APs and 250,000 square feet (5000 square feet per AP)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card