Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800 / IOS-XE: QoS marking of management and authentication frames

Johannes Luther
Level 4
Level 4

Hi board,

I'm still a fan of AireOS, because the documentation was pretty good. For example this little snippet from the mobility design guide 8.5:

CAPWAP 802.11 Traffic

CAPWAP 802.11 traffic can be divided generally into the following two additional types:

• 802.11 management frames—802.11 management frames such as probe requests and association requests/responses are classified automatically with a DSCP of CS6.
  • 801.11 data frames—Client data and 802.1X data from the client is classified according to the WLAN QoS settings, but packets containing 802.1X frames from the WLC are marked CS4. 802.11 data traffic classification depends on the QoS policies applied in the WLAN configuration and is not automatic. The default classification for WLAN data traffic is Best effort.

So I'm missing this type of information for IOS-XE. But I assume it should be the same as for AireOS... Why change things, right?

So I did some testing and found out the following for IOS-XE 17.3.3

EAPoL and 802.1X frames are marked using CS6 instead of CS4 by the WLC and the APs. One exception is the 2702 AP, which marks the traffic with DSCP 51 (weird value).

The question is: Is this considered a bug or not? What is the expected behavior here? Anybody knows this?

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card