Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i use multiple WLC (with different version) in same network

Hello

I want a suggestion on my cisco wireless network. which combine with many generation of an APs?

2*1250, 1*1040, 2*1140, 2*1600, 2*1700, 2*2700, 2*3700, 1*1815i and @1*3800

and now i have order 1*9115.

That made me need  to upgrade WLC, but i can not go above 8.3 because of some legacy APs (1250,1040,1140,1600)

So, i have some question.

1 is it ok to have 2 WLC on same network? eg. Old 8.0 for legacy devices and ME (may be 9800CL) for a newer one.

2 What is the best practice to i setting WLCs for 2 type to devices? (do i need to set vlan on my switch one for legacy WLC and one for New WLC)

3 how i can sync a wireless setting for 2 types of WLC?

Thank guys.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Also, like Rasika mentioned. To be safe, just separate the legacy and new networks. This way you don’t get any AP’s bouncing around especially if one controller goes down.  For example, I have AireOS at home and also a 9800, but placed them in separate subnets. I also defined the high availability in each ap which is a best practice.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

1. Yes, you can have two different WLCs in this situation

2. With AireOS(5508) & IOS-XE based (9800), you cannot have roaming clients. best way is isolate those legacy APs in certain area that all are managed by 5508. Use newer AP managed by 9800 in one area.

3. Here is a config converter tool that you can get 9800 configs from 5508 (or any legacy WLC configs)

https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-wireless-mobility-subjects/wlc-config-converter/td-p/2895495 

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thank for useful reply Rasika.

How can i do this. i found that when i add a new 9800-CL to same network it seem all AP will disconnect from old wlc and try to join 9800-CL, then all supported AP successfully join a new 9800-CL, but a legacy AP which not supported by 9800-CL will not join both WLC.

Set your high availability on each AP to start with.
-Scott

As this right?

Screen Shot 2562-12-28 at 12.15.02.png

That is right. The controller name must match the actual controller and is case sensitive.
-Scott

Thanks Scott

In my case it is wlc_60 right?

Screen Shot 2562-12-28 at 12.51.17.png 

If that is the hostname of the WLC? You would know from either the main page in the GUI or if you run a show sysinfo from the cli.
-Scott

Also, like Rasika mentioned. To be safe, just separate the legacy and new networks. This way you don’t get any AP’s bouncing around especially if one controller goes down.  For example, I have AireOS at home and also a 9800, but placed them in separate subnets. I also defined the high availability in each ap which is a best practice.

-Scott

Thanks @Rasika Nayanajith @Scott Fella your kindness response

so can I used VLAN instead?

If you mean “use vlan” by putting the old wlc and AP’s in one vlan and the new wlc and AP’s in another, then yes.
Again, keep in mind that there is no mobility function, roaming, between the old and the new controller since you need 8.5 with a special code or else 8.8. So you need to look at this guide, then the wlc matrix guide to determine what code your AP’s support:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_c9800_wireless_controller-aireos_ircm_dg.html#id_85242

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#40691
-Scott

Just to add, if you are placing these new AP’s in the same location with the old and roaming isn’t supported, you will have poor user experience. What you really need to look at is how to migrate a to the new and start getting rid of the old. Mixing all these various ap models that have different features and support will cause you issue and isn’t the way to go.
-Scott

Thanks Scott

Now i'm looking to get rid all of old n APs.

Yeah that is the best way. Do one floor or a whole building at a time so roaming doesn’t break. That is what you will need to look into and figure out the best way to migrate.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: