Helpful
Replies

Cant ping ap ip

rahul nair
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Today I came across a strange issue.
I have a lightweight ap installed at a remote branch office.
Flex connect and local switching has been enabled.

The interesting thing is that there were two issues:

A. The clients were disconnecting sporadically and then reconnecting again.
B. Strangely I could not ping the ap ip address only while I was connected to it through wireless. But rest connectivity was working absolutely fine. I could get an ip address and access the Internet and everything. To make it even more strange, I could ping the ap ip address while connects through wired!!!

Finally after many tries, I found that both the issues seemed to get solved when I enabled central switching!!!

What could be the issue here, any ideas?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check the arp table?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

rahul nair
Level 1
Level 1

Hmm.. No. You mean, check the arp table in the ap?
I ll check and let you know.

By that time, what could be the reason for random packet drops in local switching?
I mean I have not set "Vlan support" under hreap tab of the ap, in the controller.
Should I map it to any vlan?

The switch port connected to the access point has been put in access mode.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Check the arp table on the router?  If your using h-reap and the h-reap is on an access port, then the user traffic and the ap management will be on the same vlan which is untagged.  If you will have the user traffic different than the ap management, then you need to use a trunk port with the native as the management for the AP and only allow the vlans for your ssids.  You will need to enable the native vlan tagging on the AP and also the wlan to vlan mapping.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card