cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1200 error

ianpdavis
Level 1
Level 1

I am experiencing the following error on one of my 1200s. The error is repeated frequently with just the number of bytes varying:

Critical: Memory allocation of 18184 bytes failed from 0xA26FC, alignment 4

Anyone shed any light?

I found some info but I have no Workgroup bridges or repeater APs on the WLAN. CDP is disabled throughout.

Ian

3 Replies 3

dixho
Level 6
Level 6

Basically, the AP tries to allocate 18184 bytes of memory with address 0xA26FC. It cannot.

There are numerous reason why the AP fails to allocate the memory. We need the whole log (so that we find out if the AP tries to allocate IO memory or process memory), the output of show memory, show proc memory, show version, and show tech.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

It sounds like you're running 12.3. DownRev to 12.2(15)XR2.

12.3 apparently has some "issues."

"If you're not at 12.3, please disregard this notice."

Also do a DIR on your flash (or a "sh flash") and see if you have a bunch of dump files. Normal is for ~5-6 files/directories. I don't remember the names of the dump files, but I believe you'll recognize 'em if you see 'em.

Good Luck

Scott

I am not sure if there is anything in the flash. Starting from 12.3(2)JA, the AP will dump crash info (i.e. command exception crashinfo) if there is an AP crash. The error message only says that there is not enough memory. This does not always result in an AP crash.

I am working on a bug (CSCeg14657). The AP does not crash when there is a low on IO memory. Eventually, the problem clears up itself.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card