Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1400 Series Bridges

Thomas Yarger
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Quick question. I'm currently logged into the web interface of my 1400 Series Bridge. I'm looking at the Radio0-802.11A Network Interfaces settings section and under Data Rates I notice the 54.0Mb/sec is configured as enabled but not required. What's the difference? Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Tom,

GREAT QUESTION ..

So you have basic and enable rates also sometimes called mandatory and supported .

If you SAY 54 is basic then both sides need to be set to basic. If not they will not connect.

Madatory rates also have other meanings in the cisco world. Broadcast and Multicast is sent on the highest mandatory rates. While managment traffic is sent on the lowest mandatory rate.

NOTE:

The client must support the basic rate that you select or it cannot associate to the access point. If you select 12 Mbps or higher for the basic data rate on the 802.11g radio, 802.11b client devices cannot associate to the access point's 802.11g radio.

Does this help ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

•Mandatory—Clients must support this data rate in order to associate to an access point on the controller or your bridge

•Supported—Any associated clients that support this data rate may communicate with the access point using that rate. However, the clients are not required to be able to use this rate in order to associate.

•Disabled—The clients specify the data rates used for communication.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Tom,

GREAT QUESTION ..

So you have basic and enable rates also sometimes called mandatory and supported .

If you SAY 54 is basic then both sides need to be set to basic. If not they will not connect.

Madatory rates also have other meanings in the cisco world. Broadcast and Multicast is sent on the highest mandatory rates. While managment traffic is sent on the lowest mandatory rate.

NOTE:

The client must support the basic rate that you select or it cannot associate to the access point. If you select 12 Mbps or higher for the basic data rate on the 802.11g radio, 802.11b client devices cannot associate to the access point's 802.11g radio.

Does this help ?

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Thomas Yarger
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your help. Understood.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card