Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1532i RF pattern confusion

Brett Verney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

When I look at the RF pattern for the Cisco 1532i AP, it doesn't look right. When using Ekahau Site Survey, I only get the advertised pattern when tilting the AP 90 degrees; essentially having the AP face the ground, not running vertical like the image below. In fact when I have the AP running vertical (flat against a pole for example), the pattern almost has no back lobes and looks exactly like a patch antenna.

I found a presentation that backs this up. See below;

Can somebody shed some light as to which way the AP should be mounted to get the best omni coverage? And are the patterns shown above, the best I will get for a 1532i? An 'AP on a stick' survey is not in scope for a project I am working on so I can't test in the real world.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts, or know if anyone has had experience mounting them each way.

- Brett V

3 Replies 3

Yes please, I have this problem too.

Thanks.

mario.jost
Level 3
Level 3

Hey Brett

We have the same issue/question right now. Are going to deploy lots of 1532i on multiple campuses. What is your experience with this model? And where did you find the radio pattern images? When i google for them, the only images i can find are from your post. They are very limited quality, though.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mario

Hi

The actual patterns can be found at link below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-antennas-accessories/product_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

Try to search "Cisco Aironet 1530 Series Integrated Antenna" on this page.

I don't have any experience with the 1530 APs but elevation patterns show that this antennas don't have lobes at 270Āŗ. So if you install this AP at 1-2m altitude, it should be looked like a patch antenna. Looks like the AP is designed to radiate with patch pattern.

Have a look at the 1570 antenna pattern. It looks like "true" omni:

Cisco Aironet 1570 Series Integrated Antenna

2.4 GHz, 3 dBi Azimuth Plane Radiation Pattern

5 GHz, 5 dBi Azimuth Plane Radiation Pattern

2.4 GHz, 3 dBi Elevation Plane Radiation Pattern

5 GHz, 5 dBi Elevation Plane Radiation Pattern

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card