Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1532i RF pattern confusion

Brett Verney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

When I look at the RF pattern for the Cisco 1532i AP, it doesn't look right. When using Ekahau Site Survey, I only get the advertised pattern when tilting the AP 90 degrees; essentially having the AP face the ground, not running vertical like the image below. In fact when I have the AP running vertical (flat against a pole for example), the pattern almost has no back lobes and looks exactly like a patch antenna.

I found a presentation that backs this up. See below;

Can somebody shed some light as to which way the AP should be mounted to get the best omni coverage? And are the patterns shown above, the best I will get for a 1532i? An 'AP on a stick' survey is not in scope for a project I am working on so I can't test in the real world.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts, or know if anyone has had experience mounting them each way.

- Brett V

3 Replies 3

Yes please, I have this problem too.

Thanks.

mario.jost
Level 3
Level 3

Hey Brett

We have the same issue/question right now. Are going to deploy lots of 1532i on multiple campuses. What is your experience with this model? And where did you find the radio pattern images? When i google for them, the only images i can find are from your post. They are very limited quality, though.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mario

Hi

The actual patterns can be found at link below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-antennas-accessories/product_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

Try to search "Cisco Aironet 1530 Series Integrated Antenna" on this page.

I don't have any experience with the 1530 APs but elevation patterns show that this antennas don't have lobes at 270Āŗ. So if you install this AP at 1-2m altitude, it should be looked like a patch antenna. Looks like the AP is designed to radiate with patch pattern.

Have a look at the 1570 antenna pattern. It looks like "true" omni:

Cisco Aironet 1570 Series Integrated Antenna

2.4 GHz, 3 dBi Azimuth Plane Radiation Pattern

5 GHz, 5 dBi Azimuth Plane Radiation Pattern

2.4 GHz, 3 dBi Elevation Plane Radiation Pattern

5 GHz, 5 dBi Elevation Plane Radiation Pattern

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card