Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2504 WLC HA SKU Question

Craddockc
Level 3
Level 3

Community,

I have seen several threads that are similar to this discussion but I am still highly confused and need your help. here is my scenario.

We have two 2504 Cisco WLC. Both running code version 8.0.110.0. The active 2504 has a permanent 15 AP license and has 12 AP's connected to it. We have another 2504 that is only running a 75 AP eval license good for 12 weeks. These two 2504's exist in different geographical locations. I wanted to make the second WLC (the one with the 12 week license) act as a backup WLC in case the primary one fails (AP's in flexconnect mode). However; I dont think my licensing is capable of the HA SKU option am I correct? Both WLC's are capable of doing HA SKU as they both have that option under the Controller-->General tab. How do I have to work the AP licensing to make this work? I was reading that one of them might have to have a 50AP perm license on it? Please let me know. Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Will my secondary controller have to have some kind of permanent licensing on it if i set it up as an HA-SKU controller to work?

The WLC configuration for the primary controller must be identical (excluding IP address, of course) with the secondary controller.  

It is highly recommended that the controller firmware must also be of the same level.  

Because the licensing is exactly the same as purchasing a brand-new license it will be permanent. 

View solution in original post

Leo,

I really do appreciate your replies, so thank you for them. So does my secondary (backup) WLC thats in HA-SKU mode need to have any kind of permanent licensing on it in order to function as HA-SKU? Currently it has no permanent licensing on it but my primary WLC does. The Primary has a 15 AP perm license on it. From what im reading, an HA-SKU WLC will allow AP's to fallback to it in the event of a Primary WLC failure and will allow the maximum # of AP's the WLC will support (in this case 75). It will then start a 90 day timer on you to give you time to get your primary WLC back up and running. However, i cant find anywhere that says the HA-SKU WLC must have some kind of permenent AP licensing, base, AP adder or otherwise.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

However; I dont think my licensing is capable of the HA SKU option am I correct?

2504 will not support HA SSO.  The only way to do this is to assign each AP with the Primary/Secondary Controller details.

Leo,

Thanks for the reply. So this means the secondary WLC will have to have permanent licensing on it is that correct? I guess im just confused as to whether SSO redundancy and HA-SKU are mutually exclusive. These WLC's will reside in different geographical locations so directly connecting them for SSO failover is not what im looking for. My question I guess is what kind of licensing do I need to have on my 2504 WLC's in order to allow the Primary and Secondary Failover deployment?

My question I guess is what kind of licensing do I need to have on my 2504 WLC's in order to allow the Primary and Secondary Failover deployment?

Ordinary license will do fine.  Nothing fancy, like HA SKU or something.  

I am looking at that option. Will my secondary controller have to have some kind of permanent licensing on it if i set it up as an HA-SKU controller to work? Or can it have no licensing and still be functional as HA-SKU?

Will my secondary controller have to have some kind of permanent licensing on it if i set it up as an HA-SKU controller to work?

The WLC configuration for the primary controller must be identical (excluding IP address, of course) with the secondary controller.  

It is highly recommended that the controller firmware must also be of the same level.  

Because the licensing is exactly the same as purchasing a brand-new license it will be permanent. 

Leo,

I really do appreciate your replies, so thank you for them. So does my secondary (backup) WLC thats in HA-SKU mode need to have any kind of permanent licensing on it in order to function as HA-SKU? Currently it has no permanent licensing on it but my primary WLC does. The Primary has a 15 AP perm license on it. From what im reading, an HA-SKU WLC will allow AP's to fallback to it in the event of a Primary WLC failure and will allow the maximum # of AP's the WLC will support (in this case 75). It will then start a 90 day timer on you to give you time to get your primary WLC back up and running. However, i cant find anywhere that says the HA-SKU WLC must have some kind of permenent AP licensing, base, AP adder or otherwise.

I found the answer:

Standby Controller Licensing
Q.
Do I need to buy access point licenses on my standby controller?
A.
No. When the active controller is unavailable, the standby controller will adopt the licenses from the primary
controller. It is expected that the customer will be able to get the primary controller back online within 90 days.
After 90 days, the customer will get a daily reminder to switch back to the primary controller
It appears though if you are using a 5508 you need to have a perm 50AP base license to use it as a standby but this doesn't appear to be the case with the 2504. Thanks again guys!

The Q&A you've mentioned does NOT apply to 2504.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card