cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3502 in sniffer mode question

tdennehy
Level 1
Level 1

I'm wondering if I am understanding this correctly.  If I place a 3502 in sniffer mode, reboot, and assign the channels I want to sniff, and configure the Wireshark host IP, does the access point act as a promiscuous WLAN adapter?

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

correct ....

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Sounds too good to be true!

It can also work as a spectrum analyzer when put in SE-connect mode. We're telling you it's a cool product ... :-P

Sure does look like a cool product.  We've deployed several, but haven't played with all the features.

So.. sniffer mode = Promiscuous and Monitor?  I can grab 802.11 headers, management and control packets, along with traffic from various channels and from all SSIDs?

If so, that's pretty sweet.  Definately have to play around with that feature!

No, sniffer is just a sniffer. Not a monitor ... You set the channel on the AP you want to monitor. It doesnt scan ... Its just like being right there at that very strop with a laptop sniffer.

SE does layer 1 only, doesnt sniff...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin