Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3502i cannot join the controller

Dear forum members this is the issue.

When we were installing some new APs, were plugged in to ports that were not configured on the WLC management VLAN.

This is the illustration

WLC management VLAN is VLAN 80

Management VLAN of infrastructure (Switches routers) is VLAN 10

The APs were plugged in to VLAN 10 and they were not able to associate themselves with the controllers.

Through research, those APs were getting a wrong IP address,

I did the Mode button, pressed for 30 secs, but this did not fix the problem, i thought it was going to clean the flash and bring the AP back to factory default I do not believe this happened.

We also added the cisco-capwap-controller.localdomain  to our DNS servers, and then I rebotted the APs and still no luck.

What fixed the issue is we had to go to the DHCP server, release the IP addresses and we found those based on the macs of the APs.

I am wondering if there is another way?

What is we do not have the mac addresses?

Now that I have the DNS entry created, if I plug in an AP on the wrong VLAN port will I be able to see it?

I would appreciate your help on this matter.

3 Replies 3

Yahya Jaber
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

if you want to use the DNS discovery method, have you configured option 15 on the DHCP server? so that the AP will know its domain name?

Rate if answered

No can you please provide me with info how do I do that?  Thank you so much

Open DHCP. (To open DHCP, click Start , point to Settings , click Control Panel , double-click Administrative Tools,and then double-click DHCP )

• In the console tree, click the applicable DHCP server.
  • On the Action menu, click Set Predefined Options.
  • In Predefined Options and Values, click Add (Option Class Standard), and then click OK.
  • In Name, type the string DNS Search List.
  • Set Code to15 and Data Type string (it is not an array), and then click OK.
  • Right-click Scope Options, select Configure Options, and then check 15 DNS Search List.
  • Enter your domain
  • Click OK.

or you can watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJhYAalF-XM   Minute 4.10 Create somthing like that. "015 DNS Domain Name "

hope this helps

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card