cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3600 AP Autonomous IOS with RM3000AC

Quentin Kelly
Level 1
Level 1

Curious if there is an actual reason in this day and age why the Cisco 3600 series AP running the latest autonomous IOS, will fully accept, detect and configure the RM3000AC wave1 module but still will not let it advertise SSID. I understand that this still only works with lightweight IOS and a WLAN controller.

Although the datasheet isnt exactly clear, nor documents that it can only be used with  WLAN controller, but however does go on to detail how awesome the module is in every way and how easy field upgrades are. I agree, it sounds great.

Why is Cisco not trying to corner the WLAN market with 11.ac products? There must be an awful lot of 3600 series AP out there in production not using a controller that could use this? I personally would rather be using this AP than another brand.

So why not the autonomous firmware to support this?

Many thanks.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Curious if there is an actual reason in this day and age why the Cisco 3600 series AP running the latest autonomous IOS, will fully accept, detect and configure the RM3000AC wave1 module but still will not let it advertise SSID. 

I believe the module is only valid for controller-based.  The reason is the amount of computation it requires that you cannot do on autonomous.  

Psst ... How would you like a "free" WLC 2504?  All you need is to buy TWO (2) new AP and you can get a WLC-2504 for free (with 25 AP license).   If you are interested, look for the following PID:  AIR-AP1702I-WLC, AIR-AP2702I-WLC or AIR-AP3702I-WLC.

rlaudiano
Level 1
Level 1

wow i just got one of these ac modules and have one more coming for my autonomous aps for my home network. If this is true then i'll be damned

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card