Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3700p - total client count

ivansalazar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking for an AP for a high density users scenarios. I've been reading and the 3702p seems to be the one, but I want to know the difference between the total Clients that this AP Support, vs the 3700, 2700 and 1532.

Thanks a lot

Ivan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I want to know the difference between the total Clients that this AP Support, vs the 3700, 2700 and 1532.

There is no such thing as "this AP can support MORE wireless client than <BLAH> model" claim.  You'll need a truck-load of common sense. 

Wireless media is a SHARED media.  This means that if one (wireless client) talks, everyone else stops, listens and waits for their turn to talk.  The more wireless clients associate to an AP the longer it takes for others to wait for their turn to talk.  Rule of thumb, both by Cisco and a lot of us wireless guys, is 25 wireless clients per AP.  

Now here's where things can get "adjusted":  This rule-of-thumb will depend entirely on the type of traffic being sent/received by the wireless client.  Let's say you're doing nothing but email, IM, browsing the web, etc. then this number goes up to 35 wireless clients to an AP.  But let's say you're doing HD videos then the number drops down to about 5 or 8 wireless clients per AP.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I want to know the difference between the total Clients that this AP Support, vs the 3700, 2700 and 1532.

There is no such thing as "this AP can support MORE wireless client than <BLAH> model" claim.  You'll need a truck-load of common sense. 

Wireless media is a SHARED media.  This means that if one (wireless client) talks, everyone else stops, listens and waits for their turn to talk.  The more wireless clients associate to an AP the longer it takes for others to wait for their turn to talk.  Rule of thumb, both by Cisco and a lot of us wireless guys, is 25 wireless clients per AP.  

Now here's where things can get "adjusted":  This rule-of-thumb will depend entirely on the type of traffic being sent/received by the wireless client.  Let's say you're doing nothing but email, IM, browsing the web, etc. then this number goes up to 35 wireless clients to an AP.  But let's say you're doing HD videos then the number drops down to about 5 or 8 wireless clients per AP.  

Thanks a lot!

I read the rule of thumb (25 per AP) in other posts, just want to make sure what was the difference of the 3702p, which claims to be for "high-density environments".

Regards,

Ivan

3702P is designed for stadium, large auditorium, lecture theatres, etc.  This is a "special" kind of AP which requires a special kind of antenna.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card