Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 887 and wireless module

alexbak79
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there

I recently bought a cisco 887w and i'm having problem with wireless. The question is: is there any way to disable the very VERY annoying wlan-ap0 interface to boot from the main cisco IOS? Couln't find anything related with this over the internet I do really want to use dot11radio 0 from main router interface just like on my old cisco 877. Any help?

4 Replies 4

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think you missed the point. The 870 router had a wireless interface (interface dot11radio 0).

The 880s have a real access point inside !

You can console in to the AP from the router with "Service-module wlan-ap0 ..." command, you can load a different code on the AP only, ... a real AP in the end !

So the interface wlan-ap0 is an internal interface in the ISRm a gigabit port leading to the AP.

So that interface would just be configured to trunk appropriately and the real config is inside the AP via "service module" consoling :-)

Nicolas

Nicolas thank you for your answer,

Yes, i did notice that c887w has a real ap inside. That's not too much flexible for me for the main reason that this is not intergrated like c877w as i thought. This has many disadvantages for me like i have to keep 2 different configurations, i have to login by typing service-module wlan-ap0 blah blah blah, two different managment IPs and so on. Dissapointed... but i'll get used to it : ) Fortunately they didn't do the same thing on fastethernet interface module..LOL! Hopefully on next IOS releases they do include an option to use dot11radio from main cisco IOS.

I'll have my time with this now.. I'll keep searching the cisco.com for a suitable config for me. If you have any tip for wireless bridging with the main BVIs on the router interface i'd apprieciate that : )

And for last something off topic... i noticed (not sure) that weighted early random detection (WRED.. QoS) is not supported. Is that true?

TX!!!

You're missing an important point. The 870 had a wireless INTERFACE. It's a small radio chipset and behaved like a port.

The code of the radio had to follow the code of the ISR.

Here it's a real device inside another device. That was required for 11n support to have a full processing capacity with some firepower. It also allows to have the Wireless Business Unit doing the code of the AP and have that code in parity with all other models of IOS aps (notice that the inner AP can load 12.4.25 like a 1242 for example).

It was a pain before to bring all the new AP features and enhancements to a code that was completely different (router code not in parity at all).

So I can tell you that it has a lot of advantages for everyone (the one from customer side is reliability, I can testify this 1000%).

Now indeed the configuration is a bit longer and a bit more complex, agreed. But it's a one-time operation right ?

I have no idea about WRED QoS so I can't answer you.

Oh now i get you! Right, yes it has advantages when it comes as a different module - true, but when it comes for configuration i can think that it would get complicated.

Do you have any link with a decent configuration for wireless? i want to use a simple config that binds dot11radio0 ssids with the main router interface. Sounds simple.. i think

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card