Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9120AX Access Points - RTLS Question Using DNA Spaces

Jay233
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Installing quite a few 9120ax access points on a 98040 SSO WLC's, an RTLS survey has been completed and DNA Spaces acquired.

Question: Whats best practise for the actual physical position of the access point I.E. should all AP's be physically positioned exactly the same like to true north as an example?  So all access points would have an azimuth of 0 degrees?

Any help with AP Azimuth and Elevation settings would be great

Assume this would be helpful and easier to input into DNA spaces when placing on maps etc.

DNAC-AP.jpg

Any guidance would be appreciated. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I generally have all the LEDs pointing one direction or point direct to the closest external wall (depends on the installer and how well I trust them to know which way is north), there are times where this might not be possible (in which case I want to know where its pointing)

For the Elevation for internal APs I leave as 0,

For Azimuth point the arrow in the same direction the LED is in respect to the floor plan.

Internal APs without Hyperlocation this isn't a big issue if these are not right, as there aren't the directional antennas to worry about for the location calculations, its more important for AP height, and the AP position on the map.

For DNA-S best to load these into DNA-C maps and setup the syncing between the two

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I generally have all the LEDs pointing one direction or point direct to the closest external wall (depends on the installer and how well I trust them to know which way is north), there are times where this might not be possible (in which case I want to know where its pointing)

For the Elevation for internal APs I leave as 0,

For Azimuth point the arrow in the same direction the LED is in respect to the floor plan.

Internal APs without Hyperlocation this isn't a big issue if these are not right, as there aren't the directional antennas to worry about for the location calculations, its more important for AP height, and the AP position on the map.

For DNA-S best to load these into DNA-C maps and setup the syncing between the two

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Agree with Haydn, I prefer to keep the LED pointing in direction where it can be seen without opening the door or disturbing an ongoing meeting or class, if that's an option. In case if you have to physically look at the AP LED status.

In case you don't have DNAC, Prime also allows you to export (only) to DNA Spaces.

-hope this helps-

Hi Haydn,

Many thanks for the reply.

I have imported several floor maps into DNAC and scaled accordingly, my question is how do I now align multiple floors together? 

E.G. ground floor > first floor > second floor etc.

In the past usually align by way of lift shaft or services ducts.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card