cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Access Points on Foundry Edge Switched Network

ghelwagen
Level 1
Level 1

I'm evaluating both Cisco and Foundry Wireless Access Points for 4 large buildings in a campus...probably about 240 access points total. The installed LAN unfortanetly is Foundry on the Edge and Marconi ATM in the core...and it's not changing any time soon.

What should I be on the lookout for? Will Cisco APs operate well in this environment? What features will I not have because it's not a total Cisco LAN? Has anyone put the 1200 series APs on a Foundry network?

I'm looking at doing wireless voice as well. Any comments would be appreciated.

2 Replies 2

stgutier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I can only comment on the wireless voice side. Phones will be setting the Qos (Cos and ip precedence) you will need all the devices in the network to understand these QoS and act apropiately, prioritizing voice over other data.

If you can't guaratee that all devices that the voice will cross will maintain those Cos/dscp settings and will prioritize the voice, you can't guarantee how the voice quality would be.

schunt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Also CDP won't work with non-Cisco switches attached to Cisco CDP enabled devices.

7920 wireless IP phones utilize CDP. The workaround is to disable CDP on the phone itself.

Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card