cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco AIR-AP18502i Master AP Failover

yousub.ali
Level 1
Level 1

I have two AIR-AP18502i mobility express. I am trying to Redundant or primary and secondary controller. I used the command is below  

config ap next-preferred-master <Cisco AP>

Check this command to very-fie 

show ap next-preferred-master

It working fine but secondary controller is select master AP then i checked next-preferred  master Ap show this own ap-name. Above this command put again in controller in manually. 

my question is why  not working  automatically.

please help me.

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

check the doc......and test again..

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_Cisco_Mobility_Express_Deployment_Guide/b_Cisco_Mobility_Express_Deployment_Guide_chapter_01001.pdf

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Dear Sandeep,

Thanks for messaging.

I flow your documentation  but no result.

I used this image version AIR-AP1850-K9-8.2.130.0. 

jkilleda
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Md. Yousub Ali,

Cisco AIR-AP18502i Master AP Failover
To have redundancy in the Mobility Express network, it must have two or more Cisco 1800 series Access Points. These Access Points should have AP Image type as MOBILITY EXPRESS IMAGE and AP Configuration as MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE. In an event of a failure of Master AP, another Cisco 1800 series AP is elected as a Master automatically. The newly elected Master AP has the same IP and configuration as the original Master AP.

Access Points, which have the Mobility Express Image but AP Configuration, is NOT MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE, will not participate in the Master AP election process.

To have redundancy in the Mobility Express network, it must have two or more Mobility Express capable
Access Points. These Access Points should have AP Image type as MOBILITY EXPRESS IMAGE and
AP Configuration as MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE. In an event of a failure of Master AP, another
Mobility Express capable AP is elected as a Master automatically. The newly elected Master AP has the same
IP and configuration as the original Master AP.
The Master election process is based on a set of priorities. An AP with the highest priority is elected as the
Master AP, running Mobility Express controller function.
The Master AP election priorities are as follows:
1 User Defined Master—User can select an Access Point to be the Master Access Point. If such a selection
is made, no new Master will be elected in case of a reboot of the Master Access Point. After five minutes,
if the current Master is still not active, it will be assumed dead and Master Election will begin to elect a
new Master. To manually define a Master, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Navigate to Wireless Settings > Access Points.
Step 2: From the list of Access Points, click Edit icon of the Access Point which you would like to define
as the Master AP.
Step 3: Under the General tab, click Make me Controller button.
Step 4: Click Yes on the Confirmation window.
To clear the user defined priority, login to the Controller CLI and execute the following command:
Cisco Controller) >clear ap next-preferred-master
If a preferred Master AP has to be elected incase of a failover, the following command can be entered on
the controller CLI to define the preferred Master.
(Cisco Controller) >config ap next-preferred-master <Cisco AP>
<Cisco AP> Enter the name of the Cisco AP
To view the preferred master, use the following command:
(Cisco Controller) >show ap next-preferred-master
2 Most capable Access Point - If the user priority is not set, Master AP Election algorithm will select the
new Master based on capability of the Access Point. For example, 3800 is the most capable followed by
2800 and then 1850 and finally 1830.
3 Least Client Load— If there are multiple AccessPoints with the same capability i.e. multiple 3800 Access
points, the one with least client load is elected as the Master AP.
4 Lowest MAC Address—If the User defined priority is not configured and everything else is the same,
then Access Point with the lowest MAC gets elected as the Master AP.
To have redundancy in the Mobility Express network, it must have two or more Mobility Express capable
Access Points. These Access Points should have AP Image type as MOBILITY EXPRESS IMAGE and
AP Configuration as MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE. In an event of a failure of Master AP, another
Mobility Express capable AP is elected as a Master automatically. The newly elected Master AP has the same
IP and configuration as the original Master AP.
The Master election process is based on a set of priorities. An AP with the highest priority is elected as the
Master AP, running Mobility Express controller function.
The Master AP election priorities are as follows:
1 User Defined Master—User can select an Access Point to be the Master Access Point. If such a selection
is made, no new Master will be elected in case of a reboot of the Master Access Point. After five minutes,
if the current Master is still not active, it will be assumed dead and Master Election will begin to elect a
new Master. To manually define a Master, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Navigate to Wireless Settings > Access Points.
Step 2: From the list of Access Points, click Edit icon of the Access Point which you would like to define
as the Master AP.
Step 3: Under the General tab, click Make me Controller button.
Step 4: Click Yes on the Confirmation window.
To clear the user defined priority, login to the Controller CLI and execute the following command:
Cisco Controller) >clear ap next-preferred-master
If a preferred Master AP has to be elected incase of a failover, the following command can be entered on
the controller CLI to define the preferred Master.
(Cisco Controller) >config ap next-preferred-master <Cisco AP>
<Cisco AP> Enter the name of the Cisco AP
To view the preferred master, use the following command:
(Cisco Controller) >show ap next-preferred-master
2 Most capable Access Point - If the user priority is not set, Master AP Election algorithm will select the
new Master based on capability of the Access Point. For example, 3800 is the most capable followed by
2800 and then 1850 and finally 1830.
3 Least Client Load— If there are multiple AccessPoints with the same capability i.e. multiple 3800 Access
points, the one with least client load is elected as the Master AP.
4 Lowest MAC Address—If the User defined priority is not configured and everything else is the same,
then Access Point with the lowest MAC gets elected as the Master AP.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card