Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 9800-CL, ESXi, SR-IOV and High Availability

LeakyZinc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

New to the Catalyst 9800-CL and trying to get my head around the networking config for HA when hosted on ESXi with SR-IOV enabled for high throughput.  vNIC teaming in ESXi appears not supported when SR-IOV is enabled.

Appreciate two vSwitches are required, management/AP traffic and RP.  RP vSwitch wouldn't need SR-IOV so two NICs for that on the ESXi host teamed and physically connected to a VSS pair of switches.  What about the management/AP vSwitch?  Would want split-links from the host to the VSS pair but struggling to see how this could be achieved.

Documentation on SR-IOV and HA configurations appears to be scarce so I'd appreciate any thoughts on this as I continue to investigate.

TIA

1 Reply 1

SparrowPL81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have the same request.

Could anyone share his own experience in implementing sr-iov. I have intel nic cards configured and enabled sr-iov feature. Simply I don't now how to configure network interfaces under vmware. For example vnic1 and vnic3 as regular interfaces using "standard" port group on vswitch and vnic2 as passthrough to vwlc vms ?

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card