Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco EWC connected access points

Alex49
Level 1
Level 1

Hello to all,

which Access Points are supported with the the embedded wireless controller.

Which access points can i connect to the EWC.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Those AP’s are supported to join EWC AP’s but not be an EWC ap.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

marce1000
VIP
VIP

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

(look for embedded with your browser)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi to all

are there any extra costs to install the EWC.

Just need another software, right ? Without any additional costs

C9100 EWC AP bundle image

Thanks in advance

Regards

There is no additional cost. I too a few 91xx AP’s and converted them for testing with no issues. You just need to be able to downloads the EWC image zip file and go through the steps to convert them.
-Scott

(See also below) The ac Wave 2 and newer APs are supported. Sadly (for me), the 1702/2702/3702 are not supported. Perhaps it's time for a refresh. At least the smaller Catalyst 9115ax are not that expensive.

Those AP’s are supported to join EWC AP’s but not be an EWC ap.
-Scott

What? That would be good news. Lasts week was a webinar on EWC and there I had the impression that they were not supported at all. Then I'll give it a try ...

I believe they mentioned that EWC would support any Wave 2 AP’s as an EWC. I haven’t tried a 3702 yet but I can later today.
-Scott

I am not yet confident ... From the FAQ:

Can 802.11ac Wave 1 or 802.11ac Wave 2 Access Points join an Embedded Wireless Controller network?

802.11ac Wave 2 Access Points can join an EWC network and service clients, but they cannot run the EWC function on the Access Points. Please note that 802.11ac Wave 1 Access Points are not supported with the EWC on Catalyst Access Points.

Yeah I did see that but then the compatibility matrix states otherwise. I can try it later today as I have a 3702 laying around so I will see if it joins or not.
-Scott

I really hope that you are right about this! :-)

Hi to all,

here an output from release notes

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/16-12/rel-notes/ewc-rn-16-12-2.html

Subordinate AP

Cisco Aironet 1540 Series
Cisco Aironet 1560 Series
Cisco Aironet 1815i
Cisco Aironet 1815w
Cisco Aironet 1830 Series
Cisco Aironet 1840 Series
Cisco Aironet 1850 Series
Cisco Aironet 2800 Series
Cisco Aironet 3800 Series
Cisco Aironet 4800 Series

Master AP´s

Cisco Catalyst 9115 Series
Cisco Catalyst 9117 Series
Cisco Catalyst 9120 Series
Cisco Catalyst 9130 Series

Regards

Alex

So from my testing, the 3702 does join a 9800, but will not join a EWC with an error “unsupported AP”. I should off know, because when you cover the ap from capwap to ewc, you have to extract the image.zip file. There is no image for the x702’s in the file.
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card