Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Mesh "Repeater Fallback"

yurimecca
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dear,

I'm deploying a Cisco Mesh infrastructure using WLC 7.2 version and 1552 APs.

This Mesh APs will be connected in the Light Pole and the RAP will be connected to the SP Switch located in this same Pole.

The MAP will be powered using Pole source power and will be connected to the RAP over 5.8 Bachhaul.

My Customer asks if is possible that in case of SP Switch lost the connectivity to the Backbone IP, the RAP can connected to another RAP and maintain the conectivity to the Backbone over the Air, like REPEATER FALLBACK mode in Autonomous version.

For that I thinging to change the role of the RAP APs to "MAP with UTP Cable", but I'm not sure that a MAP AP with CAPWAP tunnel over UTP Cable can provide a Downlink Backhaul to another MAPs. Thats is possible?

Best Regards,

Yuri

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No.... If the RAP looses connected to the wired side it will just fail like a local mode AP that looses connection to the WLC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Fella for you Reply.

And an AP with MAP role can act as a RAP, if we plug a Ethernet Cable?

I mean, the RAP provide Downlink and Uplink, the MAP can provide it too if theres a Ethernet Cable? Is possible to establish a MESH infrastructure without an AP with RAP role?

You do have to change the mesh mode from map to rap. That is why usually you would have multiple RAPs on the network so in case on rap fails, the other maps can join the working RAP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card