Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco mobility express option 43

aslam.bajwa
Level 3
Level 3

Hi , 

i need to configure option 43 on dhcp server  for Cisco mobility express , can any one explain the format or its same like we configure for Cisco WLC?

please give one Example ...

regards , 

3 Replies 3

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Aslam,

Just confirming you are directing standard CAPWAP APs to an ME WLC? If so, I believe Option 43 is configured exactly the same was you would normally with no special preference for the ME WLC. 

Cheers.

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Hello Ric, 

thank you for your reply , ME master AP is working fine , i can connect with SSID i have configured . but other APs are not registered with Master AP .Unable to download the Image.

Regards 

Hi Aslam,

What image did you use on the master AP? They often need the .zip file which contains the additional images that your ME can hand out to connecting APs. Do you see those APs at least trying to join the ME to begin with?

show ap join stats summary all will tell you if they are discovering it correctly. If you do a debug capwap events enable or variation of capwap debug you may see that it does not have the required image to hand out. 

What version of software are you running on each AP? I recommend two options:

1) Download the .zip version of your ME software. Look inside that .zip and find the required image for your CAPWAP AP and manually upgrade it doing ap-type capwap tftp://x.x.x.x/<image> where your image might be something like ap3g3 (depends on AP type you're using). You will need a TFTP server running on your PC or somewhere your AP can access.

2) Install the same .zip ME software on your ME so it can hand out the image(s) to CAPWAP APs. The only reason I don't recommend this as option 1 is I recently did the same thing with 2 x 1562E APs and the CAPWAP AP still could not receive the image so I had to do the above option. Also note when performing this I had to disable my ME port temporarily as it interefered with my CAPWAP APs manual installation of the image (errored out after the download). After install and reboot it joined up fine.

Thanks,

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card