Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime upgrade (Standard to Pro)

martaylor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Can anyone help answer a query we have regarding an upgrade we need to do on Prime Infrastructure, PI.

We are running PI version 1.3 on VMware in a standard deployment.

We want to upgrade to a Pro deployment.

My understanding is that the only difference between standard and Pro, is that additional VMware resources are needed.

On the software download site, there is a separate OVA image for Pro, however there is also a Prime 2.1 upgrade installer image.

Can an existing VMware Prime be upgraded to Pro by increasing the VMware resources and running the upgrade image or does it need a clean install

Thanks

Martyn

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Has to be a new install.  The db size is what is determined from the ova you used to install.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott

Do you know if... you are running a standard image Prime with maps and aps positioned etc that these can be restored onto a new Pro image from a standard image prime backup.

what about all the licenses for APs, MSE etc. Do all these need re installing ?

You can do a restore on the new VM if you want. I typically have not and I would export the maps from the old version, add the WLC's to the new PI and then import the maps. You can then repost licenses if your running PI 2.1 or earlier. PI 2.2 will take your original license from PI 2.0 & PI 2.1.  You would just need to download the license again or open a TAC case to obtain them. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card