cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco's WLCs and Microsoft Active Directory via LDAP

bbiandov
Level 1
Level 1

After looking at few problematic trends with 802.1x and the requisite evasive answers I must ask a very simple yet specific question:

Are we out of luck with Cisco's WLCs authenticating against Microsoft Active Directory via LDAP?

I am referring to the issue with clear text passwords being required by WLC's LDAP implementation which makes that LDAP useless against Microsoft Active Directory?

Thank you

~B

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

802.1x requires a radius server and also the radius has to join the domain. LDAP only supports clear text for EAP-TLS and EAP-FAST or PAP using WebAuth.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

With some EAP methods you don't need clear-text password. With others however you need.

For ecample, you DON'T need clear-text password for:

• EAP-FAST/GTC
  • EAP-TLS
  • PEAPv1/GTC.

You need clear-text password for:

• LEAP
  • EAP-FAST/MSCHAPv2
  • PEAPv0/MSCHAPv2

The LDAP backend database supports these Local EAP methods:

• EAP-FAST/GTC
  • EAP-TLS
  • PEAPv1/GTC.

LEAP, EAP-FAST/MSCHAPv2, and PEAPv0/MSCHAPv2 are also supported, but only if the LDAP server is set up to return a clear-text password. For example, Microsoft Active Directory is not supported because it does not return a clear-text password. If the LDAP server cannot be configured to return a clear-text password, LEAP, EAP-FAST/MSCHAPv2, and PEAPv0/MSCHAPv2 are not supported.

Reference: http://tiny.cc/cougvw

So, you can for example use local EAP on the WLC with EAP-TLS or PEAP-GTC and you don't need the clear-text password. But if you want to use PEAP-MSCHAPv2 then that is not supported unless you get the LDAP DB to send a clear-text password.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Thanks Amjad, very detailed reply. Appreciate the source link.

I was suspecting that the most desirable methods won't work with non-clear text LDAP passwords. Sounds like that what will work is a road of client certificate mess that I am sure is technocically possible. All those 3 supported methods do require client certificate:

• EAP-FAST/GTC
      • EAP-TLS
      • PEAPv1/GTC.

So just in case I am not missing something; is there a workable L2 authentication method using Microsoft AD as the backed via LDAP where simple username and password pops up at the client-end; AND

• no client certificates/smart cards
      • no pre-shared keys such as the case with the WPAxx
      • no clear text passwords LDAP backend is available

Client being main stream range of possibilities such as iOS; Mac OS; Windows etc (no specialized NICs and drivers allowed in this solution).

With PEAPv1-GTC the client certificate is optional; not mandatory.

Look into this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7034/products_configuration_example09186a0080734afc.shtml

HTH

Amjad

useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

bbiandov
      Level 1
      Level 1

Not good; software required to make win7 work

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2206685?referring_site=kapi

Back to searching for native support; no software; no certificates; no pre shared keys

so, why not promote a server to do NPS?  you can use the IIS 6.0 toolkit and generate a self signed certificate for that server if you don't have PKI.

then you can use that to do PEAP against AD

HTH,
      Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
      Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Steve

Have you actually done that in the real atomic world? I mean done it without deploying PKI?

It's not the certificate generation but its that the NPS would not even pick a certificate unless the certificate scheme is modified so that this type of certificate becomes permissible and that's what the deployment of PKI does which is what I don't want to do -- deploy PKI that is

I do have NPS; that's the easy part. The certificate biz is the ugly part. And yes if this worked it will be the most ideal solution.

B

Yes, worked with a customer to get this running back during my TAC tenure.  So long as the server has a cert saying it's authorized to authorize it'll work.

On the Client you do need to go and uncheck teh 'validate server certificate' box, and all is gravy.

HTH,
      Steve

HTH,
      Steve

Abhishek Abhishek
      Cisco Employee
      Cisco Employee

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

Complete these steps in order to successfully implement this setup:

•Configure LDAP Server.

•Configure WLC for LDAP Server.

•Configure the WLAN for Web Authentication.

For more information refer to the link-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a0080a03e09.shtml

Hope this will help you.

Looking for L2 authentication solution Abhishek; thank you nonetheless.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card