Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unified Wireless LAN Controller (WLC) - Stateful Switch Over and SNMP

Simon Sigre
Level 1
Level 1

As described in the article below

"When Stateful Switch Over is enabled, there is no SNMP/GUI access on the service port for both the WLCs in the HA setup."  

So my question is how do you monitor the health of your backup unit in the HA cluster? How do you confirm that power-supply, fans etc are all functioning in case of SSO fail-over?

It certainly seems like quite the shortcoming and for larger service providers (such as us) this is a real pain.

Even the WebUI is knackered (CSCue50988)

(http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-1/HA_SSO_DG/High_Availability_DG.html#pgfId-43215) h

Any help would be great

1 Reply 1

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Simon,

I feel your pain. Only the active unit (available by the management IP address and its own redundancy-management address) will respond on SNMP gets. The redundancy-management IP addresses on both units do respond on ICMP. Because of this we monitor the management address with SNMP and ping both redundancy-management addresses separately.

Cisco made some enhancements on the monitoring of HA-SSO in release 8.1, which consists of traps being send regarding the HA SSO process. You can find more information about this here. I have to say that I don't have a customer running on this newer version of code but some guys do, so with some careful testing you should be fine.

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card