cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WCS HA

skelley5000
Level 1
Level 1

Does WCS HA work by ping or does it actually know if the service on the primary goes down,. For example, My Primary WCS server was up and working but the WCS services were in a stopping state. I wasn't able to log into the primary or the Secondary WCS. I rebooted the primary and then the Secondary picked up and started working. I failed the Secondary back to the primary and everything is working....So my question is, does the HA work by pinging the server and if the setrver reponse to ping then it doesn't fail? I would think it would go by the service but from seeing this it looks like it goes by server ping response.

1 Reply 1

ramkris2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

All the components in the service (java, apache, & the Solid database engine) have to be running for the GUI to serve the web page & successfully login. So when the primary WCS was rebooted, the secondary wasn't able to reach the primary which triggered the fail-over event. On a reboot, the services on the primary came back & the secondary was able to fail-back. The Health Monitor(HM) component is responsible for making the call.

Heart Beat—Heart Beat submodule is responsible for maintaining communication between the primary and secondary HMs. Communication occurs over HTTPS (default port is 8082). The timeout value is 2 seconds. A retry mechanism has been implemented to retry establishing connectivity between the Primary-HM and Secondary-HM. If the HM does not receive a response after sending a heartbeat request within the timeout period, it retries establishing communication by sending another heartbeat request. The total number of retries is 3. After communication has not be established after 3 retries, the HMs take appropriate action.

Ram

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card