Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Wireless Anchor Controller Authentication

CB90021204
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I plan to setup a wireless network with a cisco wireless controller attached to a cisco anchor controller using mobility tunnels.  I plan to use 802.1x auth for the WLAN.

My question: Does the user authentication for the WLAN come from the local or the anchor wireless controller? Can you choose which controller the authentication requests come from? I'd perfer the authentication requests come from the anchor controller if possible.

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

CB90021204
Level 1
Level 1

I read the following link that states Layer 3 auth requests come from the anchor controller and Layer 2 802.1x auth requests come from the foreign controller. I still need to test this to see if its accurate. Has anyone tested this before?

http://www.revolutionwifi.net/2010/08/cisco-mobility-tunnel-client.html

Hi,

That's correct. L3 authentication is handled by anchor and L2 authentication by foreign wlc.

Regards.

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

when your are using anchor controller the users will be authenticated from the anchor controler

CB90021204
Level 1
Level 1
I tested 802.1x authentication in my lab today using a foreign/anchor controller setup. All user authentications were originating from the foreign wireless controller. Radius accounting was being sent out the anchor but not authentication requests. Is there a way to force authentication out the anchor controller or will it always originate from the foreign controller?

Hi,

I would like to know if you wer able to force authentication out the anchor controller. If yes, could you direct me as to how you achieved it?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card