cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco wrt54g2 drops ip assigned by Motorola modem

marciokoko
Level 1
Level 1

For some reason, a couple of days from today, my Cisco wrt54g2 drops ip assigned by Motorola modem.

It gets it back after a while (10 mins) and works for another 15 minutes.

The firmware is uptodste, I just upgraded it today.

What could be causing this behavior?

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To make sure it's the router, plug your PC or another router into the modem and see if that device keeps the IP address or not. If it does, I would think its the router. Change the Ethernet cable also just in case.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Well all of a sudden it stopped doing it SO OFTEN.  Its still does it but every 3 or 5 hours or so.

Now the weird thing is that the devices dont hold on to the password for some reason.  I have 2 ipads and 2 iphones and i have to input the 26digit hex key everytime we come home and want to connect.  My macbook air seems to hold on to the password just fine though.

I just changed the cable.  But as I said, Im not sure yet if that fixes the problem because now I get internet pretty much all night from the moment i come home from the office til i fall asleep and thru next morning, and just have to release/renew dhcp lease when i come back home the next day.  So Ill know tomorrow.  Ill post back.

marciokoko
Level 1
Level 1

I called the cable company and they allegedly came and did something to their modem. It stopped doing it for a while. But yesterday it started doing it again.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card