Views
Helpful
Replies

Client Association

Azeem Dawood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

In my enterprise we have 3 Cisco Access Points connected one is 1250 Series and two are 1140 series. But none of them are displaying the name of the client associated to it, if a client is a andriod, iphone, laptop etc. What shall i do to get this feature? Do i have to upgrade the firmware or is it a matter of some configuration on Access Point?

Pls suggest the best opinion.

Regards,

Azeem                  

3 Replies 3

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

The username will not display as the only information the client sends  across is the matching encryption key during authentication. If you want devices to display hostnames, then you have to join them to your domain, then use EAP with machine based authentication. For non-corporate devices, I would suggest you use EAP-TLS. However, for a small network like yours, I would rather stick to using pre-shared key authentication. If you had Cisco Prime Infrastructure, it would tell you not only the type of device connected (which WCS can also do), but other information such as the device operating system, e.t.c.

Like I mentioned earlier, you have a small wireless network within a building, so no need buying Cisco Prime, however going for EAP authentication method is your choice.

Thanks i will try n see.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the AP's lightweight or autonomous?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card