cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clients not receiving DHCP IP address for WLANs on VLANs (Android/Linux)

Ben Stephenson
Level 1
Level 1

SUMMARY

Flexconnect Android clients cannot obtain DHCP IP address from the local DHCP server when connected to WLAN with VLAN enabled. Windows 10 client connects and obtains IP address as required.

INFO

WLC 2504 is set up at the main office with two WLANs. One on the native VLAN for employee use providing full access to all network resources and a guest WLAN on VLAN10 which provides internet access only. Works well with all clients. The guest network is a simple WPA2 PSK WLAN.

A remote office is linked to the main office by a VPN tunnel. The intention is that both WLANs are available at all sites. The remote office has a Flexconnect access point in local switching mode and a Cisco RV320 router acts as DHCP server. Again the native VLAN is used for the employee WLAN and VLAN25 is used for the guest WLAN.

Controller software version 8.2.151.0

PROBLEM

At the remote office the employee WLAN is working well. A DHCP address from the remote office DHCP server (RV320) is provided for the employee WLAN and traffic is routed locally as required. All clients can connect to this VLAN.

A Windows 10 client can connect to the guest VLAN and an IP is obtained from the local DHCP server on the router. The issue is that all Android/Linux devices cannot obtain an IP from the DHCP server and the connection fails.

The set up on the router (VLANs and DHCP server) hasn’t changed since the remote site AP was migrated from autonomous mode which used the same WLAN and VLAN arrangement and worked well.

I have tried many combinations with and without Flexconnect groups, different ACLs, WLAN->VLAN mapping by AP or group, etc. I've also tried a few things from this forum but unfortunately I’m still unable to resolve the problem. Any advice greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

piotrPaszk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This issue is probably related to wifi direct option on wlan setting - advanced.

Android devices send the P2P IE in association request. If your setting for wlan er NOT-ALLOW

then controller disallows the Wi-Fi Direct clients from associating with the WLAN.

You have to change it to disabled or allowed ( which is not recommended)

Disabled — Ignores the Wi-Fi Direct status of clients thereby allowing Wi-Fi Direct clients to associate

B.r

Piotr Paszkowski

Hi Piotr

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

The disabled setting for wifi direct is already in place for all WLANs so I don't think this is the cause of the problem.

Bobsa
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue with a Cisco 9800-L WLC - iPhone, iPad, Windows clients connect fine and get DHCP addresses, but Android and MAC OS do not. The Android device connects to the network fine when set with static IP address details in the relevant range. Any help/suggestions gratefully received!  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card