cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Compaq Tablet PC and Cisco Aironet 340

jpurvor
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone tried to connect a tablet PC with inbuilt 802.11b mini PCI card to a Cisco wireless network? (OS: windows XP tablet edition)

After setting network keys in the windows control panel, the tablet connects to the wireless bridge and authenticates but does not pass data - the network name of the PC is not captured.

I've tried an aironet card from a working PC, no luck - same issue.

J

3 Replies 3

jpurvor
Level 1
Level 1

Do I need to switch off something that is on by default??

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2877975,00.html

QUOTE:

another challenge: how to find out which proprietary wireless technologies are supported by the devices that you're interested in. A random sampling of Web pages at Acer, Dell, HP, IBM, Sharp, and Toshiba reveals that this information is readily available only from Toshiba. The company's notebook offerings appear more flexible than others, supporting either of the two most often OEMed wireless technologies: Agere's Orinoco (recently acquired by Proxim) ,or Cisco's Aironet.

WIRELESS VENDORS like Cisco aren't the culprits. Not only did Cisco solve a problem that desperately needed solving, but there are plenty of other vendors of wireless Ethernet hardware that have built similar "walled gardens" with their proprietary technology--technology that you or your company could already be relying on.

END QUOTE

I have seen problems like you describe when the WEP keys do not match. Sometimes the mapping of the ASCII string WEP Key is not computed the same on different manufacturer products. Try turning off WEP to make sure wireless works, then turn it back on using the Hex string for the WEP key.

a.brouwers
Level 1
Level 1

we installed tablet pc's on AP1200. For europe you must set "region" on "rest of the world" It works fine with 128 wep key and mac-filtering.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card