cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring multiple vlans

cporter
Level 1
Level 1

i have configured a cisco 1100 access point to use a management vlan and multiple vlans. when i set the ssid on my laptop to match the test access point ssid i am associated to a production 1100 in the same area even though the production 1100 has a different ssid.

my laptop connects to the network through the production 1100 using the test

1100 ssid. the 2 1100s are on different channels (3 and 6)

i have also found that if i configure 'guest-mode' on one of the ssids/vlans i can associate with the proper (test) access point and things work, but only for that vlan, the others still do not.

why is this happening?

4 Replies 4

dixho
Level 6
Level 6

What is the operating system and supplicant do you use?

If you use XP, please go to the following URL:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427&Product=winxp

The above URL shows that XP always gives a higher preference on broadcast SSID to non-broadcast SSID.

I am told that XP SP2 fixes the above problem. I have not tried myself. Alternatively, you can use other supplicant, say ACU or ADU.

i'm using windows 2000 with service pack 4. my wireless card is a cisco 350.

do you use ACU? or do you use Microsoft's Wireless Configuration? If you use ACU, what is the version of ACU? How about "Auto-profile Selection" settings? (i.e. Click on "Select Profile" in ACU)

If you use ACU, the 350 should not switch to other profile unless you use "Auto- profile selection"

yes i use acu (5.02.005) and i'm not using the auto profile selection.

i think i may have figured it out. i made a rookie mistake and when i added the ssid to the profile management i failed to enter the ssid under the system parameters tab. things look like they are working now. thanks for your help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card