cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect PC to WLC console port

eigrpy
Level 4
Level 4

HI, Here is a wlc 4400. I am trying to connect it through console cable with my PC. Usually router/switch has RJ45 console port. So I just use a cable (usb --- RJ45 port at each of two ends) to connect my PC to the router/switch. Unlike general router/switch, the wlc has male console port. So, I need a cable which has usb and 9 pin female port at each of two ends of the cable in order to connect wlc to my PC? Or use a cable which is like this: my PC-- usb port--male port--F2F adapter-- wlc male port? Can you confirm it? or other option? Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Before the ubiquitous blue Cisco console cable, these were the original ones.  If one end is the original blue Cisco blue cables and the RJ-45 end is connected to one of these, then this setup will work just as well.  I've tried this setup before when configuring WLC 4400.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on the console cable.  The Cisco WLC 4400 console cable is a "cross-over" variety.  

It all depends on how the cables are terminated at each ends.

Thank you for your reply. I got answer from Cisco as following. The following says it needs a "modular adapter (RJ-45 female to DB-9 female)" I do not know if it is Ok without the following adapter. 

Required Tools and Information

You will need the following tools and information before you can install the controller:

CISCO console port cable (RJ-45 to DB-9) and modular adapter (RJ-45 female to DB-9 female) to connect CLI console and controller

Before the ubiquitous blue Cisco console cable, these were the original ones.  If one end is the original blue Cisco blue cables and the RJ-45 end is connected to one of these, then this setup will work just as well.  I've tried this setup before when configuring WLC 4400.

Thank you. I think you are right

Hi! So I am trying to connect to a WLC 4400, I have the cisco blue cable but cant figure out how to get that to work using putty.  I ordered cisco part 74-0495-01, when the part arrives do I attach an  RJ45 cable to my ethernet port and plug the cisco adapter into the DB9 port on the front of the WLC? Then how do I configure putty to connect? Which interface? Serial, SSH  in Putty?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card