cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Designing a wireless location

ralphstaiano
Level 1
Level 1

I believe that I understand the difference between 2.4 and 5 GHZ when it comes to designing coverage to a location. I would like to know if anyone ever setup a conference room with 25 laptop’s where there is a greater concentration of device in a smaller area. Not sure on which model will support this type of environment.

Thanks

Ralph

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ralph:

My apologies.  I typo'ed the post.  I meant the 1142.  The 1242 has antennae and is dark blue/gray. 

The 1142's are white and have no antennae.

The 1242's are good too.  Cheaper, but they aren't as pretty.

Looking at the list price, you save about $100 per AP going with the 1242.

If you go with the 3502i, you're gonna pay about $500 more per AP.

3502i's give you a lot more if you utilize the "CleanAir" Technology (self-healing, self-optimizing, etc)

If you're starting from scratch, your due dilligence should also include researching other vendors too.

I know we were approached by Aerohive.  The product was great.  The pricepoint was cheaper.  But the overall cost of replacement would have been astronomical because we were already in bed with Cisco for 70+ APs and 4 controllers.

Just something to consider.

Ven

Ven Taylor

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ven Taylor
Level 4
Level 4

The major differences between the two are the type of frequencies (channels) they offer and the Wi-Fi protocols they support.

The 2.4GHz band offers 3 non overlapping channels and supports 802.11 b/g/n.

The 5GHz band offers at least 23 non overlapping channels and supports 802.11a/n.

The 2.4GHz band covers a larger range than 5GHz and is commonly used throughout the US in consumer products such as PC’s, PDA, Bluetooth Devices, cordless phones, and microwaves. 2.4GHz can occasionally experience interference from these devices when the same frequency (channel) is used. 5GHz on the other hand has a shorter range but because it offers numerous non over lapping channels it’s not as susceptible to interference.

However, because of its shorter range it does not penetrate solid objects nearly as well as 2.4GHz and limits its reach. This can be resolved by adding more access points when using 5Ghz.

Taking into consideration that you're looking to have a dense client distribution in a small area, I would definitely recommend two AP's.

I'd recommend the 1242's because they're available in standalone or lightweight.  They have a low-profile design that makes them nice for conference rooms (no antennae) and they support 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Granted, you can do this for significantly cheaper using non-cisco AP's, but this is a Cisco forum.

If you're thinking of going with a controller-based solution in the future, I'd really recommend the 1142's.

Ven

Ven Taylor

Ven, Leo

Thank you very much in responding to my question. I have to go off site tomorrow for a project so I won't be able to responded back to you until Wednesday. I just wanted to say thank you as I believe that I am on the same page but I didn't know enough about the different models of AP. I will look into 1242, 1142 or 1140 and comment back to you guys.

Regards

Ralph Staiano

Cisco Aironet 1242AG 802.11a/g Non-modular IOS AP

Ven

I like this AP as I believe if I'm understanding this correctly,  that it  uses dual band access point which allows for high capacity / security  / enterprise feature where as the other AP 1242G uses the standard single band.

Is this the AP that you were referring to?

Ralph

Ralph:

My apologies.  I typo'ed the post.  I meant the 1142.  The 1242 has antennae and is dark blue/gray. 

The 1142's are white and have no antennae.

The 1242's are good too.  Cheaper, but they aren't as pretty.

Looking at the list price, you save about $100 per AP going with the 1242.

If you go with the 3502i, you're gonna pay about $500 more per AP.

3502i's give you a lot more if you utilize the "CleanAir" Technology (self-healing, self-optimizing, etc)

If you're starting from scratch, your due dilligence should also include researching other vendors too.

I know we were approached by Aerohive.  The product was great.  The pricepoint was cheaper.  But the overall cost of replacement would have been astronomical because we were already in bed with Cisco for 70+ APs and 4 controllers.

Just something to consider.

Ven

Ven Taylor

Ven

Thank you very much in taking the time in helping me make a decision.

Regards

Ralph Staiano

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on what is your budget.  You can start with an 1140, as Ven has recommended, or you can go to a 3502i.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: