Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Option 43 for Access points

Junaid Shah
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am planning to change the value of option 43 in DHCP for the management VLAN of access points. My question is if I change the option 43 value, would already connected access points to wireless controller gets disassociated and joins the wireless controller back or the AP's wont get disconnected from WLC at all ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>... would already connected access points to wireless controller gets disassociated
  -      No     because that is a parameter that you change on the DHCP server and by definition
                                 it has no impact on already connected
APs. It comes into play when an AP gets rebooted and get that parameters again from the DHCP server , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Junaid Shah wrote:
would already connected access points to wireless controller gets disassociated

If the DHCP Option 43 is configured correctly, the APs would leave the controller and come back in after 60 seconds.

Not AP will not know about new IP in op43 until it IP lease time end and ask IP from dhcp server after that it will know new IP and try connect to it

MHM

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>... would already connected access points to wireless controller gets disassociated
  -      No     because that is a parameter that you change on the DHCP server and by definition
                                 it has no impact on already connected
APs. It comes into play when an AP gets rebooted and get that parameters again from the DHCP server , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card