Views
Helpful
Replies

Difficulty with Apple iOS devices

Evan Wheatley
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All,

I'm seeing a problem with Apple iOS devices connecting from one SSID and then connecting immediately to another. I've tried to replicate this fault with non Apple iOS devices, but I'm unable.

Environment:

Single 5508 WLC running 7.2.110.0

AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 AP's

WLC is in clients head office, MPLS to their branch sites. AP's are in FlexConnect mode, with AP and FlexConnect groups for the AP's at the branch. 3 x SSIDs; Corporate (802.1X), Guest (Web-Auth) & Non-Corp (PSK).

Scenario:

Client is connected to the Corporate SSID with his iPad (new model, running iOS 5.1.1). No problem with access, he is able to roam throughout the building with good SNR/RSSI. He wants to test the other SSID's, he attempts to connect directly to the Guest or Non-Corp and gets an error message on the client saying 'Unable to Connect' or 'Unable to Join'. Debugs on the WLC for the client shows no connection attempt, no errors. I can see the client disconnect from the Corporate SSID, but nothing for the Guest or Non-Corp SSID.

If the client then disconnects and forgets the Corporate SSID from the wireless profiles on their iPad, waits 20-30 seconds (I can see the client disconnect cleanly from the WLC) and then attempts to connect to the Guest or Non-Corp SSID's - he doesn't have a problem. He immediately associates, and is able to connect. If he then tries to connect directly to another SSID, while still associated to another from the same WLC/AP – he gets the error again. Forget/wait 20-30 seconds, attempt to connect – no problem.

We've tested with several iPhones (4 & 4S), iPads (2 & new model) - all running the same Apple iOS (5.1.1).

I unfortunately can't do much troubleshooting with TAC on this as the client is no longer onsite, and I don't have a 5508 in our lab that I can currently test with. Has anyone else experienced as similar issue? I've tried playing with beacon intervals, etc to no avail.

Thanks,

Evan.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Q. What is Fast SSID Changing?

A. Fast SSID Changing allows clients to move between SSIDs. When the client sends a new association for a different SSID, the client entry in the controller connection table is cleared before the client is added to the new SSID. When Fast SSID Changing is disabled, the controller enforces a delay before clients are allowed to move to a new SSID. For information on how to enable Fast SSID Changing, refer to the Configuring Fast SSID Changing section of the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide, Release 7.0.116.0.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want to switch between SSIDs, you need to enable Fast SSID on the wlc.

-Scott

Q. What is Fast SSID Changing?

A. Fast SSID Changing allows clients to move between SSIDs. When the client sends a new association for a different SSID, the client entry in the controller connection table is cleared before the client is added to the new SSID. When Fast SSID Changing is disabled, the controller enforces a delay before clients are allowed to move to a new SSID. For information on how to enable Fast SSID Changing, refer to the Configuring Fast SSID Changing section of the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide, Release 7.0.116.0.

-Scott

Thanks Scott, I'll change the setting and see if the client can test. I'm pretty confident after reading everything I can find in the last 5 minutes about Fast SSID changing.

Best,

Evan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card