cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Directional Antennas

DavidKing34039
Level 1
Level 1

I need to cover two outdoor areas from the same general location both on 2.4Ghz and are out of range for Omni-directional antennas. They are separated by approximately 150 degrees. Can I do this using one AP and two directional antennas? Example an AIR-AP1562E with two AIR-ANT2413P2M-N=?

The datasheet makes it look like I have to enable dual band on all four antenna ports but I will not have dual band antennas. I don't require allot of throughput nor will I have allot of users. This will be used in the U.S.

Been trying to get this question answered for months. Hope someone can help me out with this.

Thanks,

David King CWNA

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Has anyone done a site survey planning (since you are a CWNA).
The reason why I'm asking is because the antenna is only 2.4 Ghz.
And looking at the radiation pattern, this antenna is more ideal for point-to-point bridge.
If you want to cover a large area, 1562i is more suitable.

Leo,

Thanks for the reply. I have modeled it in Airmagnet Site Survey Pro. This is kind of a unique design. Basically it's a railroad yard and I have to communicate with a locomotive while it's sitting still in a designated part of the yard. They call this initializing the train which is done before it can depart the yard. So it's very much like a point to point which is why I've selected the directional antennas. In this instance I have two areas to cover and I need to reach a distance of about 1,600 ft maximum (each area) and designing for a minimum of HT20 MCS-0 (I'm limited by the radio on the locomotive). Access to network connections and power is limited. I just don't understand the flexport technology enough to solve this. I'd be happy to share a kmz file with you to show you what I'm trying to do. 

Thanks again for the reply.

David

Whao. That's too far. You may need to have a wireless bridge or a MESH and then present the SSID at the destination.
For the bridge/MESH, you might want to look at 1562e with AIR-ANT2513P4M.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card