cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need to config a FlexConnect AP on the secondary controller to be able to perform properly once it loses the connection to its primary controllerers

zli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have APs confiugred as FlexConnect and each AP as a primary and secondary controller. I currently configured the APs on the primary controller. My question is whether I need to config the APs on the secondary controller with AP group, Flex Connect Group, high avaialbility, and flexConnect local switching in order that the APs run properly if theylose the connection to its primary controller.

Please help!

ZL

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Zhi,

In order to have a good transition when the primary WLC fails is to make sure that your configurations between the two WLC's are the same. I mean that you use the same WLAN and WLAN ID, AP Groups need to be defined the same also, etc. if you do have his, then you are fine. You can alway test by moving an AP from the primary to the secondary and verify that users are fine and are not experiencing any issues.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Many thanks, Scott.

I would like to do the testing. However, I only have one controller (primary controller) for staging and the other controller (secondary controller) is in production, which does have the same WLAN and WLAN ID configured, but not AP groups and FlexConnect group.

So, when the controller and APs are conneted into the network (go alive), I will force the WAPs to register to the secondary controller and configure AP groups and FlexConnect Group and Local switching etc. This is one way that I can think of to make the two controllers have the same config for the APs.

Do you have any simpler way?

Appreciate you answer.

Kind Regards,

ZL

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well why not just configure the AP Groups etc. that way when you bring up the primary into production and have to move the AP to the backup, the AP's don't loose their settings. If the AP moves to the production WLC and it does not have the AP Groups, it will be placed on the default group and then you will have to move the APs back to the correct group.

-Scott

Many thanks, Scott.

I am new to configuring a WLC and am interested in making wireless working properly.

When I configure an AP group, I need to add WLANs and add APs into the group.  Can I configure  AP groups on the secondary controller (in production) with only WLANs and no APs first?, Then, When the APs register with the secondary controller later, do the APs know they belong to the confiugred AP group not the default group?

The same as FlexConnect Group, when I config a FlexConnect Group, I need to add the APs and specify the Radius server. Again, if on the secondary controller, I only configure the FlexConnect Group with no APs, do the APs know where they belong?

Kind regards,

ZL

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can I configure AP groups on the secondary controller (in production) with only WLANs and no APs first?
-Yes

Then, When the APs register with the secondary controller later, do the APs know they belong to the confiugred AP group not the default group?
-Yes they will know

The same as FlexConnect Group, when I config a FlexConnect Group, I need to add the APs and specify the Radius server. Again, if on the secondary controller, I only configure the FlexConnect Group with no APs, do the APs know where they belong?
-Yes

You want to make sure everything is identical except for the WLC host name and ip address. This way when APs move to one WLC to another, everything still works fine.

-Scott

Many thanks, Scott.

May I know how to console into AP 3602 after configuring the AP on the WLC? When I console into it, it asks for username and password, I tried Cisco and Cisco and it doesn't work.

Appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Zhi

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Under Wireless | Global Configuration is where you can define the credentials

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card