cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual role anchor/foreign 9800 controller?

andy-uos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am wondering about having a controller act as both a foreign and an anchor.

Currently we (Corp A) have an agreement with Corp B to broadcast each others WLANs. We have an anchor (Cisco 5508) for SSID A in a mobility group with Corp B controllers (mostly 9800's). Clients in Corp B can then connect to the Corp A SSID via Corp B access points. Likewise, due to Corp B having a similar anchor (5520) in a mobility group with our 9800 for for SSID B, clients in our premises can connect to our access points to access the Corp B network.

So far, so good.

As the 5508 WLC is now EoL, the question has been raised as to whether it is possible to connect together the 9800's directly to act as both foreign and anchor controllers without the need for dedicated anchors. I have read conflicting responses to this question so I thought I would open it up to responses on here.

The scenario would be that our 9800 would have the access points in Corp A, broadcasting SSIDs A, B, C, D, but could it also act as the anchor for WLAN A for the AP's and 9800's in Corp B at the same time?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I have doubts you may want to play with different Policy Profiles as explained in https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/213912-configure-mobility-anchor-on-catalyst-98.html#toc-hId--1473355734 to realize what you want.

You can always have a sanity check of any controller's configuration using the CLI command
               show tech wireless and feed the output from that into Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card