Views
Helpful
Replies

External antenna

sushahid
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

i have a 2802E mounted on a wall. What direction should the AP be mounted at? port side facing up? Or port side (poe etc) facing down?

also for antenna should all antenna be facing up or two up and two down? I am not sure how the best practice is for it. 

5 Replies 5

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thank you but if the ports are facing down wouldn’t the ap be upside down and Cisco logo upside down as well?

also what ways can we tweak the settings to allow best range in the ap (maybe rf settings)

This really depends on the type of antenna being added to it.

If its the omni rubber ducky antennas like the air-ant2524dw-r then:

If AP is wall mounted IE the LED is facing out from the wall, top two antennas face up to roof, bottom two face down to ground.

If LED faces ground all 4 antennas face ground.

As per https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_cisco_aironet_series_2800_3800_access_point_deployment_guide/b_cisco_aironet_series_2800_3800_access_point_deployment_guide_chapter_010.html as per figure 9

Other option would be a 3rd party right angle mounting bracket like in figure 11

Other types of antennas will depend on where you are trying to send the signal.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you for your reply, so the antenna have orange tip where they connect to the AP, how do i find out the which model i have? Thank you for clearing the mounted question!  As for facing the AP up or down, would Cisco logo be flipped or facing the correct direction? If Cisco logo is not flipped on the wall mount that means the port (poe) would be on TOP side of the AP.

Also using Mobility Express is there anyway to tweak the radio's to maximum the distance for the signal? 

Antenna will decide the gain, you can increase the TX power levels

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card